Quick and Easy Vegetable Lo Mein! Make one of your favorite Chinese food take-out dishes at home, in under 30 minutes! It’s so good and perfect for a weeknight dinner!
Chinese Lo Mein At Home
In my single girl days, I was a huge fan of Chinese take-out dishes. I had my favorite Chinese place on speed dial and they always knew my order. Vegetable Lo Mein and Chicken Broccoli Stir Fry. This love for Chinese take-out continued in my married pre-kids phase of life. That is, until I quickly discovered how easy it was to make Chinese food at home. And good thing I did because we eventually had kids and Asian food (especially noodles) became one of their favorites.
Vegetable Lo Mein
I’m so glad I started cooking my favorite Chinese food dishes at home because I know exactly what the ingredients are and I can change it up! Add chicken, pork, tofu or beef, or use your family’s favorite vegetables and make it as colorful as a rainbow.
The key to my Lo Mein is using fresh, quality ingredients and produce and making sure you have the right pan or wok. When making Vegetable Lo Mein, I always go for fresh and colorful vegetables. My favorites are:
- bell peppers
- red onions
- red cabbage (for color)
- sugar snap peas.
I like to add my vegetables in batches because some require more cooking than others and I like to keep a little bite on the bell peppers so I add those towards the end. Add the cooked linguine noodles into the pan along with the mushroom broth, soy sauce, hoisin sauce and oyster sauce. Toss together for a few minutes, or until the noodles are well coated and heated through. Garnish with diced green onions and you’ve got your favorite Chinese take-out dish made at home!
MAKE-AHEAD Cook the pasta noodles and chop up all of the veggies the night before and keep in the refrigerator. This way, everything will be prepped and ready to go for dinner after a busy day!
I hope you enjoy it!
Quick and Easy Vegetable Lo Mein
Vegans should read the labels at the Asian market and should purchase a vegetarian oyster sauce.
- 1 to 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 small sized onion peeled and sliced
- 1/2 medium sized zucchini unpeeled and chopped
- 1/2 medium sized summer squash unpeeled and chopped (if in season)
- 1 cup sugar snap peas cut once in half crosswise, or left whole
- 1 1/2 cups shiitake mushrooms chopped
- 1 to 2 garlic cloves minced
- Pinch of salt
- 1/2 red bell pepper chopped
- 1/2 green bell pepper chopped
- 1/2 cup red cabbage shredded
- 2 small carrots peeled and shaved into strips
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 1/2 pound linguine noodles cooked
- 1/4 cup mushroom broth
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce + more if needed
- 2 tablespoons hoisin sauce + more if needed
- 2 tablespoons vegetarian Chinese oyster sauce
- Green onions diced for garnish
- Using a large sauté pan or skillet, heat your oil over medium-high heat. After a minute or two, add the onions and sauté for a few minutes until slightly softened. Add in the zucchini, summer squash if using, snap peas, shiitake mushrooms and minced garlic and sauté for a few minutes. Season with salt and pepper and continue sautéing for a few minutes longer until the vegetables are tender but not too soft.
- Add in the bell peppers, red cabbage and carrots and sauté for 2 to 3 more minutes. Drizzle in the sesame oil and mix together. Add the cooked linguine noodles into the pan along with the mushroom broth, soy sauce, hoisin sauce and oyster sauce. Toss together for a few minutes, or until the noodles are well coated and heated through. Taste and adjust any ingredients as needed.
- Garnish with diced green onions and serve immediately. Enjoy!
Disclosure: This is a sponsored post and is in conjunction with my partnership with KitchenAid and The Kitchenthusiast. All opinions expressed here, as always, are 100% my own. Thank you for supporting me in partnering with the brands that I love.