Baked Egg Avocado Boats! This breakfast idea combines two of my favorite breakfast foods: eggs and avocados! Just follow the simple instructions below and you will have one delicious, low carb breakfast!
I can’t believe the new year is here. I’ve spent a lot of time these past few days thinking about this new year and what I want (and need) to accomplish. Being a full time food blogger is hard work. This is probably the most challenging (in a great way) thing/career I’ve ever done. You have to be creative, thoughtful, smart, take photos, develop recipes, style your food, do social media, write, create and constantly come up with new and exciting content. It can be exhausting.
I look back at the last five years (this is how long I’ve been blogging) and it’s all a blur. A wonderful blur but a blur at that. . during the last 3 years or so I feel like my family life has taken a back seat. My house is always a mess, I have family things and personal things I’ve committed to that all fall second, or third, or tenth. . you get the idea.
Anyway, this year needs to be different. In both my personal and professional life. My number one focus this year will be my family and home life. I have so many things I need to make time for and do better.
And my goal for my blog, my little space here on the internet, is to bring you better content. Better quality recipes, recipe variations, better ideas, more thought out, photographed better and presented better. . for you.
And I will be doing more video. Because that’s what I love. And I hope you do too.
Baked Egg Avocado Boats
So, let’s kick off 2017 with these Baked Egg Avocado Boats! Yes, I am trying to eat less carbs and I’m also watching my food intake so these are perfect! You get the healthy fats from the avocado, protein and everything good from the eggs and the bacon, crushed red pepper flakes and green onions add more flavor and texture, which I love!
Variations To This Recipe
There are so many variations to these boats. Here are some ideas:
- Toppings: hemp seeds, chia seeds, almond slices, pickled onions, pomegranate arils, parmesan cheese, crispy prosciutto, fried shallots if you want to get fancy
- Drizzle: avocado oil or a balsamic glaze
I hope you give these Baked Egg Avocado Boats a try! Enjoy! And if you guys are setting any 2017 goals for yourself, I’d love to hear them!
Baked Egg Avocado Boats
- 2 ripe avocados sliced in half and remove pit
- crushed red pepper flakes
- 4 eggs
- kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 3 slices bacon cooked until crispy
- Finely chopped chives or green onions for garnish
- Avocado oil
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Scoop out about two tablespoons of flesh from the center of each avocado, ensuring that your egg will fit snugly in the center.
- Place avocados snugly in a baking dish. You want to make sure the avocados don't fall so the eggs can stay in tact while baking. Sprinkle some crushed red pepper flakes into each avocado half. Crack eggs in a bowl. Using a spoon, transfer the yolks to each avocado half, then carefully spoon in as much egg white as you can fit in the avocado without spilling over.
- Season with salt and pepper and bake until the egg whites are set and yolks are no longer runny, for about 18 to 20 minutes*. (Cover with foil if avocados are beginning to brown.)
- Remove from oven and garnish with crispy bacon bits, chives, more crushed red pepper flakes if desired and lightly drizzle with some avocado oil. Enjoy immediately!
Adapted from Delish.com