Slow Cooker Turkey Chili made with Honeysuckle White Ground Turkey. Warm, comforting and oh so delicious! The perfect weeknight meal!
Disclosure: This post is sponsored by Honeysuckle White turkey.
My family and I are big meat lovers. Chicken, turkey, pork, beef, we love it all. As a mother, I try to find ways to feed my family protein at least every other night. Whether it’s a meat protein, like one of the previous mentioned, or a non-meat protein like tofu, beans or eggs.
It’s the new year and you might be making some resolutions this year, personal and for your family. I know a lot of you want to start meal planning, make it a priority or simply implement some better goals in the kitchen when it comes to cooking and what you are putting on the table.
This year, I plan to feed my family more turkey. It’s a great, healthy protein option and it’s delicious! I’m partnering with Honeysuckle White and will be bringing you a few new recipes this month!
I’ve already shared this incredibly delicious Rotisserie Marinated Turkey Breast Tenderloin. It’s really good and my family loved it.
HONEYSUCKLE WHITE TURKEY
Honeysuckle White turkeys are raised with care by independent family farmers. There are no growth-promoting antibiotics, added hormones or steroids in their products and the taste is incredible. I love that they offer a wide variety of products besides whole turkeys!
COMFORTING TURKEY CHILI
Today, I’m sharing a delicious bowl of turkey chili with you all. My family and I love a good bowl of chili and this one is made with Honeysuckle White Ground Turkey Breast. Since we don’t have a lot of time during the week, here are two ways to prepare this meal. Your family is going to love it!
SLOW COOKER TURKEY CHILI
I love kitchen counter top appliances that can help me. This time of the year, I really love using my slow cooker on days where I have lots to do and I can just set it and come back home to a delicious meal. For the slow cooker method, full recipe down below, you will begin by prepping and cooking some of the ingredients on your stovetop and then you add everything into your slow cooker and cook on high for 4 hours. There’s something magical that happens in a slow cooker. You can’t beat the low and slow method sometimes when it comes to developing flavor in certain recipes.
Note: I am 100% absolutely fine leaving my house with the slow cooker on but that’s up to you. I hope you try this recipe! It’s delicious!
MAKE AHEAD TURKEY CHILI
Don’t have a slow cooker? You can make this recipe ahead of time!
You will prepare this first few steps of this recipe 1 or 2 nights beforehand. In a large skillet, cook the onions and bell peppers for about 4 minutes. Add the ground turkey and cook, stirring occasionally, until turkey is golden brown. Season with salt and pepper, then stir in garlic and tomato paste and cook until fragrant, for about 2 minutes. Remove from the heat and let cool. Transfer to an air tight container with lid and store in the refrigerator overnight.
Then, when you are ready to cook, remove contents from the fridge and into a heavy bottomed pot, and add in the tomatoes, beans, chicken broth, chili powder, cumin and oregano. Bring to a boil, and then turn down to medium low and let simmer for about 25 to 30 minutes. Stir and taste and season with salt and pepper.
To serve: Garnish with a little cheese and finely diced green onions. Serve with tortilla chips! Enjoy!
SLOW COOKER TURKEY CHILI
- Slow Cooker
- 1 tablespoon olive oil extra virgin
- 1 onion finely chopped
- 1 green bell pepper chopped
- 1 lb. Honeysuckle White ground turkey breast
- kosher salt
- black pepper freshly ground
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 (28 oz.) can chopped tomatoes
- 1 (15 oz.) can black beans rinsed and drained
- 1 (15 oz.) can kidney beans rinsed and drained
- 1 1/2 cups chicken broth low sodium
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- shredded cheddar for garnish
- fresh green onions finely diced for garnish
- In a large skillet over medium-high heat, heat your oil. Add the onions and bell peppers and cook until beginning to soften, about 4 minutes. Add ground turkey and cook, stirring occasionally, until turkey is golden (it doesn't have to be completely cooked through at this point). Season with salt and pepper, then stir in garlic and tomato paste and cook until fragrant, for about 2 minutes. Transfer mixture to a slow cooker.
- To the slow cooker, add in the tomatoes, beans, chicken broth, chili powder, cumin and oregano. Cook on high for 4 hours, until chili has thickened. Stir and taste and season with salt and pepper if needed.
- To serve: Garnish with a little cheese and finely diced green onions. Serve with tortilla chips! Enjoy!