Super Simple Veggie Lo Mein! This is a bare bones version, using only an onion and some scallions. Perfect for a meatless meal, this recipe comes together in about 25 minutes! Enjoy!
It’s Monday and I just got back from my staycation and girl’s weekend. I was craving Lo Mein and rummaged through the fridge. . but nothing. My husband did go grocery shopping. . but purchased English muffins, bread and butter. Ha! No vegetables in the fridge.
This recipe is great and super versatile. Add a protein: pork, chicken or beef. . or add more vegetables. . if I had bok choy or broccoli, I would have been SO HAPPY.
Bottom line: use this recipe as is, or add to it! I hope you enjoy!
Super Simple Veggie Lo Mein
- 1 to 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 large sized onion peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 garlic clove minced
- Pinch of salt
- 1 pound spaghetti pasta cooked
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- ¼ cup mushroom broth + more if needed
- 3 to 4 tablespoons soy sauce + more if needed
- 3 tablespoons hoisin sauce + more if needed
- 2 to 3 tablespoons vegetarian Chinese oyster sauce
- 1 to 2 teaspoons brown rice vinegar
- Green onions or scallions finely diced for garnish
- roasted sesame seeds
- Using a large sauté pan or skillet, heat your oil over medium-high heat. After a minute or two, add the onions and sauté for about 4 minutes. Add in the garlic and season with salt and continue sautéing for a few minutes longer.
- Add the cooked pasta into the pan along and drizzle with the sesame oil. Add in the mushroom broth, soy sauce, hoisin sauce, oyster sauce, vinegar and a handful of scallions. Using tongs, toss together for a few minutes, or until the noodles are well coated and heated through. Taste and adjust any ingredients as needed.
- Garnish with more diced green onions and roasted sesame seeds and serve immediately. Enjoy!
If you want a more substantial vegetable Lo Mein, check out this recipe.