Red White and Blue Granita Dessert!!
Remember creamsicles as a kid?! Well, this Red White and Blue Granita Dessert is just that! Whip these up this weekend for a fabulous treat!
Happy Friday everyone! Before we get going here, I just wanted to say thank you from the bottom of my heart for all the comments on my last post. I loved reading your comments and stories as well. Thank you so much. This week has been very emotional but good living through those feeling again. . and, bottom line, let’s learn to love ourselves and love others and teach our children to do the same.
And I’m still going through the list to visit each and every one of you . . but again, just thank you. So much.
Memorial Day is Monday!!!! So, you know what that means! No school or work on Monday and it’s a long weekend!!!! Woot woot!!! As we are remembering those people who served in our country’s armed forces and celebrating them . . we will also probably be spending time at the BBQ grill and hanging out with friends and family.
Whenever we get together for a Memorial Day BBQ, these are the must-have’s: meat to grill (hot dogs, burgers, chicken), a pasta salad, regular salad, potato salad, all kinds of munchies and dessert!!
Our desserts are usually cold . . so after seeing this strawberry basil granita, I knew what to do. This is how it went down. As long as you have a blender, you are set. And, what? You don’t have a blender? Well, stay tuned for giveaway details down below!!
Just start by combining the strawberries, some lemon juice, and water. Puree until smooth. Add some simple syrup and stir to combine.
Pour the strawberry liquid mixture into a freezer safe pan and place in your freezer for about an hour. Remove from the freezer and use a fork to stir up the icy liquid. Return to freezer and remove every 30 minutes to scrape the contents. That’s it!
Now, let’s get started on the dessert!! It’s Memorial Day weekend, so we’re all about the red white and blue!
Just assemble and serve! Couldn’t be any easier? and you know what? These were inspired by the cream popsicles I used to eat as a kid. You know what I’m talking about? Creamsicles!!! An creamy (ice cream mixture) in the center, with a fruit popsicle exterior. Those were the best!!!
I hope you give these a go! My kids loved these!! Wishing everyone a fun and safe Memorial Day weekend!!!
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 pound strawberries, hulled and sliced
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- ¼ cup water
- ½ cup simple syrup + more if needed
- vanilla ice cream
- fresh mint leaves (optional)
- Combine the water and sugar in a small saucepan over medium-high heat. Bring to a simmer and continue to heat until the sugar has dissolved. Remove from heat and allow to cool to room temperature. Set aside.
- Using a blender, puree together the strawberries, lemon juice and water. Add the simple syrup and stir to combine. Taste and adjust by adding more simple syrup if necessary.
- Pour the strawberry liquid mixture into a freezer safe pan and place into your freezer for about 30 minutes to 1 hour (depending on how cold your freezer is). Remove from the freezer and use a fork to stir up the icy liquid. Return to the freezer and remove every 30 minutes to scrape contents. It should take about 2 to 3 hours until the mixture has turned into ice crystals and looks like an icy slushy.
- Scoop out some vanilla ice cream and top with the strawberry granita and then sprinkle on some fresh blueberries. Add a mint leaf if desired and serve!
Strawberry granita adapted from The Little Epicurean
We’re having a Summer Pinterest Party!!!
I’ve teamed up with some fabulous bloggers and we’re hosting a PINTEREST PARTY next Wednesday, May 27th!!! We’ve got some GREAT prizes (there will be lots!) . . and we’re giving away this fabulous KitchenAid Diamond Blender ($159.99) in the color of your choice!!! I’m showing you this one (watermelon) because I love the color!!!
Here are some details:
Follow the Creative Home Pinterest Party Board
Join us Wednesday, May 27, 2015 at 9 p.m. EST
Re-pin and Comment for a chance to win prizes
I’ll give out more details next week and if you have any questions in the meantime, please ask me below in the comments!! Wishing everyone a fun and safe Memorial Day weekend!!! See you next week!!