I really love chocolate cake but I will also eat just about any dessert you put in front of me. I don’t discriminate. They are all good to me! So, I’ve been wanting to expand my “dessert and sweet treats” recipe box and have been searching for a tasty carrot cake recipe. There are so many out there and they are all basically the same but I think I found the best one from All Recipes – and it adds a new, special ingredient: crushed pineapple. It totally works in this recipe and is delicious!
I use the same cream cheese frosting I did for my banana bread. Nothing new, just the same basic four ingredients for cream cheese frosting! I made these for a night out at a friend’s house for dinner and was surprised to find out that carrot cake was my friend’s husband’s favorite! He loved them! Made me so happy!
I hope you give this one a try! Enjoy!
- 3 cups grated carrots
- ½ cup brown sugar
- ½ cup raisins
- 2 large eggs
- ¾ cup white sugar
- ½ cup vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ cup crushed pineapple, drained (canned or fresh)
- 1½ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- ½ cup chopped walnuts
- candy corn (optional for decoration)
- ½ stick butter, softened
- 8 oz. cream cheese, softened
- 1 to 1½ cups powdered sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- In a medium bowl, combine grated carrots and brown sugar. Set aside for 60 minutes, then stir in raisins.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F and prep a muffin pan with cupcake liners.
- In a large bowl, beat eggs until light. Gradually beat in the sugar, oil and vanilla. Stir in the crushed pineapple. In a separate mixing bowl, combine the flour, baking soda, salt and cinnamon and then stir into the wet egg mixture until combined. Finally stir in the carrot mixture and the walnuts. Pour evenly into the cupcake liners.
- Bake for 25 to 30 minutes, or until a tester inserted comes out clean. Cool for at least 15 to 20 minutes before frosting.
- Using a stand mixer: mix together the butter and cream cheese until smooth, add the powdered sugar and vanilla and blend well. Spread on cooled cupcakes and enjoy!