How To Make Zucchini Waffles! A delicious way to incorporate more veggies into your meal! They are so easy to make and THE BEST tasting homemade waffles ever! Adapt recipe ingredients to create sweet OR savory waffles. Don’t forget the fresh fruit, butter and maple syrup!
I think I have figured out why I am cooking, baking and blogging so much. Not only is this keeping me busy and feeding and nourishing my family but it’s one of the things that I can control right now. Well, this and my attitude towards everything going on. I can’t just sit here and not do anything.
For me, cooking, creating video content, and now trying to improve my photography skills; this is what I am focusing on. It’s definitely challenging (for us all, for everyone). I used to love going to the grocery store; and I would go several times in one week (depending on how many recipes I wanted to tackle that week). It was such a joyful and peaceful experience for me. I was alone; no kids. I would always go after working out, so I would almost always be in a good mood. I would stop and browse the produce section, the cheese department, and meat department, the bakery. . you get the picture.
Now, as we all know, it’s a very different experience. And that’s ok. We just have to wear a mask and do it.
Our New Normal
As a part of our country begins to re-open and as we begin to see what our new normal is, I believe social distancing and not gathering in large groups and wearing masks will be our new normal. I’m wondering what the new school year in September will look like. I feel for the high school students who were seniors this year. I am scared for small businesses, bloggers, restaurants, our economy, gas prices, all industries basically.
But all I can do right now is to stay positive, have patience and trust that our leaders (state and local) are doing their jobs. I’m also thinking about my mental health and the mental health of my children. I take my kids out every day to get fresh air and exercise and one of the things that is giving me joy right now is cooking for them.
How To Make Zucchini Waffles
Now that we are all home, all the time, every morning is like a Sunday morning. We’re not rushing to get the kids ready for school. The morning routine is simplified and easier; at least for us. And I have all the time in the world right now.
Zucchini Waffles are the best thing ever because you can create either a sweet or savory waffle. I love adding zucchini to baked treats, making fritters, savory waffles and more. Did you know: a 1-cup (124-gram) serving of chopped or grated zucchini contains more than 90% water and provides 1 gram of fiber? This is great for foods to help you stay hydrated but not do good when using it in recipes. For a better, crispier waffle, make sure you squeeze out all of the water.
Watch this to see how much water comes out of grated zucchini.
- Waffle baker
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 4 large eggs
- 1 cup milk any: whole, 2%, almond or oat
- 5 tablespoons unsalted butter melted and cooled
- 1 cup plain yogurt
- 1 heaping cup grated zucchini squeezed in a dishtowel or cheese cloth
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda, baking powder, sugar, salt and cinnamon. In a separate bowl, whisk together the eggs, milk, melted butter, yogurt and the grated zucchini. Fold the wet ingredients into dry ingredients and mix until somewhat smooth and combined.
- Preheat your waffle baker and spray with non-stick baking spray or wipe down lightly with butter to grease the waffle baker. Cook waffles (using about 1/2 cup batter per waffle) until golden and crisp. Every waffle baker is different so cook according to waffle baker instructions. Mine takes about 2 1/2 minutes per waffle. Repeat until all of the waffle batter has been used. Serve with fresh fruit and maple syrup if desired! Enjoy!
Other Recipes Using Zucchini
Zucchini Chocolate Chip Cookies
Zucchini Banana Bread
Zucchini Hazelnut Chocolate Chip Cake
Blueberry Zucchini Muffins
Zucchini Pizza Crust