Kimchi Grilled Cheese Sandwich. If you’re a kimchi fan and have never experienced the combination of creamy, salty cheese with spicy kimchi, in a warm grilled cheese sandwich, you haven’t lived. You’ve got to try this! It’s incredible.
Last night I was watching the movie, Chef. If you’ve watched it, you know the grilled cheese scene. It’s freaking incredible and unforgettable. I woke up this morning and had to have one. But, I also had some really good kimchi in my fridge so I made a Kimchi Grilled Cheese Sandwich.
Fun fact: Chef Roy Choi worked as a culinary consultant on the film and showed Jon Favreau what to do in the kitchen scenes.
Grilled Cheese Sandwich: Butter or Mayo?
Whenever I make a grilled cheese, I have people asking me if I’ve tried making a grilled cheese using mayonnaise on the bread, instead of butter. Today, I decided to try it.
Although, the mayo worked great, I probably should have used full-fat mayo, I think the one with butter had more flavor. How do you make your grilled cheese sandwiches?
For an elevated Kimchi Grilled Cheese Sandwich, you can sauté the kimchi beforehand with a little sesame oil. This is not necessary but will deepen the kimchi flavor more. For more heat, you can also spread on a touch of gochujang onto your bread slices, with the butter, if desired. Enjoy!
Kimchi Grilled Cheese Sandwich
- 4 slices bread any type; thick-cut bread works best
- 2 tablespoons butter or full-fat mayonnaise use more if needed
- 1 cup kimchi* chopped (see note above) and drained
- 1 heaping cup blend of mozzarella and cheddar cheese shredded; use more if desired
- Butter both slices of bread on both sides, or just one side, with butter (or mayonnaise) and set aside. Using a non-stick skillet, place your pan or skillet over medium heat. Place first slice of buttered bread into the skillet (butter side down if you only buttered one side) and top with a 1/2 cup of the chopped kimchi and then with a 1/2 cup of the shredded cheese.
- Top with second slice of bread, butter or mayonnaise side up. When the bread is golden brown, about 4 minutes, using a spatula, pressing down gently and flip your sandwich. Cook until the other side is golden brown and the cheese is melted. Repeat everything with the second grilled cheese. Slice, serve and enjoy!