Roasted Golden Beets with Balsamic Glaze.
Before we get going here, I wanted to say that some of the food and recipes you’ll be seeing here on the blog for the next 30 days are recipes that I prepped, tested and photographed before Tuesday (some a while ago and some just on Monday!). The blog will not be Whole 30 100% of the time! I have some excellent sweet treats and recipes coming your way so don’t worry!
Hey guys! So, I’m on Day 2 of The Whole 30 . . and went a little crazy buying every vegetable known to man a few days ago. These beets I actually purchased on Saturday at Whole Foods. . when I saw them, I grabbed them. It took me forever to find yellow beets (or golden beets) here in Madison.
I have to show another angle to celebrate these beauties in all their glory. I think beets are so pretty and this was actually my first time roasting them myself.
There are a few ways to make roasted golden beets with balsamic glaze. 1) you can place the beets in a shallow baking dish, drizzle on some extra virgin olive oil, salt and other seasonings and then cover the entire baking dish with foil or 2) what I did here: drizzle on some extra virgin olive oil and wrap each beet individually with foil. The temp also varies. I roasted mine at 375 degrees, as opposed to 400 because I didn’t want to scorch them. But you know your oven best, so start with 375 and see how it goes.
Once they are done, you should be able to very easily scrape or peel off the outer skin. And for this beet (above), when I opened the foil, as you can see here, some of the skin was already coming off.
I used a spoon to scrape the skin off. So easy!
With roasted beets, you don’t need a lot for maximum flavor because you really want to just enjoy the taste of the beets. I simply sliced mine, and served them on a bed of greens, and drizzled extra virgin olive oil, salt and balsamic glaze (you can certainly just use balsamic vinegar). I devoured these roasted golden beets with balsamic glaze on Monday . . so the balsamic glaze was a-ok!
And that’s it! Serve these roasted golden beets with balsamic glaze as an appetizer or side with your meal. Delicious!
- 2 medium sized yellow beets, with greens attached
- 2 to 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil + more when serving
- Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- Balsamic glaze
- Serve with fresh greens
- Place rack in middle of oven and preheat oven to 375° F.
- Rinse and dry your beets and trim off the leafy tops. Place each beet on a sheet of foil and drizzle with the extra virgin olive oil, then wrap each beet in the aluminum foil and place on a baking sheet. Roast until tender, for about 1 hour.
- Remove from the oven and let cool. When cool enough to handle, using a spoon, gently scrape the skin off and cut them crosswise into thin slices. Place on a platter, season with salt and pepper, drizzle some more extra virgin olive oil and the balsamic glaze. Serve with fresh greens.
How to Roast and Peel Beets from The Kitchn.