Hey guys! So, we are officially on summer break, woot woot!!!! This week is our do absolutely nothing week, because after this week it’s going to be go go go .. with summer camps and traveling and math tutors and ballet.
But if you have young kids, you know that a week to do absolutely nothing, doesn’t really mean you’re doing absolutely nothing. For us, I still have to have things planned out and things for them to do because if I don’t, after 10 minutes of coloring or playing, it’s, “Mom, I’m bored!!!!!”
So, our “do nothing” week will be filled with art, activities outside, a couple play dates and a trip to the movies. Which, by the way, I seriously don’t remember the last non-kid movie I’ve watched in the movie theater.
But, it’s all good. Because I have roasted veggies. You guys. THIS is what’s going to get me through the next 26 days.
My friend, Chi, and I were recently talking about what we do for quick dinners throughout the week and we were specifically talking about vegetables. Roasting vegetables got my kids to like broccoli, brussels sprouts and cauliflower. Roasting vegetables is a dream! A little extra virgin olive oil, salt, pepper and a squeeze of fresh lemon juice is all you need! And the flavors are magical! With roasting vegetables I feel like you are really tasting the vegetables. No sauce is needed, unless you want one.
And they are beautiful.
So, from my last yellow beets post, you can see how I roasted those babies here.
You can roast all of these veggies at the same time, with the beets wrapped in foil but you have to pay attention to all the roasting times . . they are all different! But here is what I recommend, make the Roasted Golden Beets first and just roast a couple extra, cut them up into cubes and throw them on the sheet pan with the roasted potatoes and radishes, mix, drizzle on a little more extra virgin olive oil and salt and a squeeze of fresh lemon juice and serve!
I think all the colors are absolutely beautiful! And if you’ve never roasted radishes, boy are you in for a treat!!! They are so good you guys!!!!! I left the tiny ones whole and cut the others in half lengthwise.
You need these roasted veggies at your next BBQ or cookout gathering! Here’s to summer!!!
Sheet Pan Roasted Vegetables
- 1 lb. small red potatoes cut in half lengthwise and then crosswise*
- extra virgin olive oil
- salt and pepper
- 1/2 lb. radishes with tops trimmed and cut in half lengthwise
- 1 lemon
- 1 to 2 golden beets roasted, peeled and cubed
- fresh parsley
- Preheat your oven to 400 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
- Scatter the red potatoes all over the baking sheet. Laying some potatoes cut side down. Drizzle with extra virgin olive oil, season with salt and pepper.
- Roast the potatoes for about 20 to 25 minutes, or until golden brown. During the last 18 minutes, remove from the oven and scatter on the radishes, laying them cut side down. Drizzle on just a touch more olive oil and salt and pepper. Cut the lemon in half crosswise and squeeze one half of the lemon over the potatoes and radishes. Save the other lemon half for the end right before serving. Place baking sheet back into the oven for the remaining 18 minutes. The radishes should be slightly crisp on the outside but still tender on the inside.
- Remove from the oven and immediately add the roasted, cubed golden beets. Toss to mix together. Taste and drizzle with a touch more olive oil if needed. Squeeze a little lemon juice over the top (you only need 1 teaspoon), garnish with fresh parsley and microgreens and serve.
Click here for the recipe on how to roast the beets.