Fresh Berry Parfait with Crème Anglaise! This recipe uses a super easy “cheat” method for the Crème Anglaise . . melted ice cream! I hope you give this a try! so good and perfect for summer!
If there’s one thing I have learned from this food blog, it’s that people love quick and easy recipes.
Cheater recipes we might even call them. Or, in this case, a lazy cook’s crème anglaise.
It all started on Super Bowl Sunday, if you can believe this . . my dear friend, Rina brought over fresh berries and ice cream for dessert (after our wings, burgers, bulgogi and bratwurst feast) and when I saw that the pint of vanilla ice cream was in the refrigerator, I moved it into the freezer and she was like, “No. . I’m doing a cheater crème anglaise . . it’s from Ina; see #9.” It totally makes sense because crème anglaise is made up of sugar, egg yolks and hot milk, and flavored with vanilla. Freaking brilliant. Did anyone know about this already? Or am I the only one who did not know this?
It all starts with vanilla ice cream.
You can leave it in the fridge (4-5 hours before serving) or scoop out what you need and leave it out for an hour or two before serving. Mix it up and make it as smooth as possible.
Prep your pound cake and berries. And hey, it’s Valentine’s Day, kick back, take it easy and just buy the all butter Sara Lee Pound cake. All you have to do is microwave it for one minute. Cut the pound cake into cubes.
Wash your berries and gently pat dry if desired. I always use and buy Driscoll’s berries and I buy organic berries 99% of the time. When I find both available, I always buy organic when it comes to berries.
Assemble your fresh berry trifles!
Top with your lazy cook’s crème anglaise. . . (feel free to add a lot or a little; I don’t like it when my cake gets too soggy so I went pretty light with the melted ice cream) and some chocolate syrup if you’re feeling it. . and believe me, you want the chocolate syrup.
Enjoy! That’s IT! These fresh berry trifles are easy, light and delicious! A great way to end Valentine’s Day dinner!
Fresh Berry Parfait with Crème Anglaise
- Vanilla ice cream
- half of a Sara Lee Pound Cake
- assortment of fresh berries: strawberries blueberries, blackberries and raspberries
- chocolate syrup optional but highly recommended
- Scoop out about 2 scoops of vanilla ice cream. Leave in the refrigerator at least 4 hours before serving or simply leave out on the counter, at least an hour or two before serving.
- Microwave your pound cake for one minute and cut into cubes. Wash your berries and set aside.
- To assemble the parfait: layer in some pound cake cubes, top with berries, repeat one more time and top with the melted ice cream and chocolate syrup. Enjoy!
Today is all about Valentine’s appetizers, dishes and desserts for TWO! How brilliant is that? And the lovely Susan from The Girl in the Little Red Kitchen is hosting today! So, take a look and have a fantastic Valentine’s Day!!!
- Bacon-Wrapped Dates Stuffed with Ricotta from Casa de Crews
- Kumquat Vanilla Marmalade from Shockingly Delicious
- Southwestern Meatballs wrapped in Bacon from Momma’s Meals
- Almond-Crusted Sole with Mushroom Pilaf for Two from Small Wallet, Big Appetite
- Bacon Crusted Beer Mac and Cheese from Melanie Makes
- Baked Crab Cakes with Lemongrass-Ginger Mayo from The Weekend Gourmet
- Baked Pasta with Sausage and Fontina from The Girl In The Little Red Kitchen
- Baked Tilapia En Papillote from It’s Yummi!
- Chicken and Mushroom Alfredo from Cookin’ Mimi
- Drunken Snow Crabs from Family Foodie
- Eggs in Purgatory from Noshing with the Nolands
- Flambéed Veal Chops from MealDiva
- Homemade Philly Cheesesteak Stromboli from In The Kitchen With KP
- Meyer Lemon Butter Sauce Prawns with Linguine from Food Lust People Love
- Pan Seared Scallops with Lemon-Basil Beurre Blanc, Pancetta, Apples and Fennel from Crazy Foodie Stunts
- Pan-Seared Scallops with Linguine and Tomato-Cream Sauce from Bobbi’s Kozy Kitchen
- Roasted Vegetable Lasagna for Two from Hot Momma’s Kitchen Chaos
- Salmon Pakoras from Jane’s Adventures in Dinner
- Swiss Fondue for Two from Curious Cuisiniere
- White Queso Mac and Cheese for Two from Daily Dish Recipes
Decadent Desserts and Drinks:
- Baked Custard from Magnolia Days
- Cherry Spritzer Ice Cream Float from Peanut Butter and Peppers
- Chocolate Budino with Strawberry Hearts from Manu’s Menu
- Chocolate Malt Bread Pudding from Alida’s Kitchen
- Chocolate Marshmallow Duets from Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Chocolate Pots de Crème from That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Fresh Berry Parfait with Crème Anglaise from Hip Foodie Mom
- Fudgy Dark Chocolate Brownies with Raspberry Sauce from La Bella Vita Cucina
- Funfetti Strawberry Cheesecake Trifle from Take a Bite Out of Boca
- German Rose Water Sugar Cookies For Two from Killer Bunnies, Inc.
- Gluten Free Chocolate Hazelnut Truffles from Gluten Free Crumbley
- Gluten-Free Deep Dish Hot Fudge Brownies for Two from Cupcakes & Kale Chips
- Ice Cream Stuffed Crepes with Nutella and Fresh Berries from Neighborfood
- Malawian Mbatata Cookies with Coconut Cream from Happy Baking Days
- Orange-scented Bread Pudding with Hard Sauce for Two from girlichef
- Pecan-Crusted Coconut Custards with Brandied Banana Sauce from The Texan New Yorker
- Pistachio Pudding For Two (From Scratch) from Chocolate Moosey
- 3 Japanese-Style Treats for Your Sweet from Ninja Baking
- Valentine’s Cupcakes with a Surprise from From the Bookshelf
- White Hot Chocolate from Pies and Plots
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on Twitter every Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm EST. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat.
Check out our #SundaySupper Pinterest board for more fabulous recipes and food photos.
Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy! You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement.