The Best Zucchini Banana Bread!! So flavorful, moist and subtly sweet. The next time you have ripe bananas, you have to bake this!
I knew this week would go by fast but I feel like it went by with lightening speed. This week has been laid back and chill, just what we needed for spring break. We usually travel and go out of town but it was nice to stay home, relax and sleep in.
We had a bunch of over-ripe bananas so naturally I made some banana bread. I experimented with both regular all purpose flour and gluten free baking flour. I attempted to make a really rich and indulgent peanut butter banana bread, which, initially right out of the oven was great but then dried out fast.
I had some zucchini in the fridge that I wanted to use so this Zucchini Banana Bread had to happen. This recipe is adapted from my cake recipe. If you need a cake for a gathering or party, try this one! It’s delicious! I mean, just look at it.
I absolutely love seeing the specks of green in this Zucchini Banana Bread. So, don’t peel your zucchini! Leave the skin on! I hope you guys try this recipe! It’s so good! Despite the dark chocolate chunks, this Zucchini Banana Bread is not overly sweet at all. This would be the perfect sit-down-relax-and-have-some-coffee-with-your-bread breakfast.
I hope you enjoy!
The Best Zucchini Banana Bread
- 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour*
- 1/4 cup hazelnut meal/flour
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 large egg**
- 1/3 cup coconut oil melted and cooled
- 1/2 cup applesauce
- 1/2 cup coconut sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 over ripe bananas mashed
- 1 cup grated or julienned and chopped zucchini, skin on
- 1/3 cup dark chocolate chunks optional
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees. Line your loaf pan with parchment paper and spray with non-stick baking spray.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the flour, hazelnut meal, salt, baking soda and cinnamon. Set aside.
- In a separate large mixing bowl, mix together the egg, coconut oil, applesauce, coconut sugar, vanilla and mashed bananas until combined. Using a rubber spatula, slowly fold in the flour mixture into the wet ingredients just until combined. Lastly, gently mix in the grated zucchini and the dark chocolate chunks if using. (Feel free to save some of the zucchini to sprinkle over the top of the bread before baking.)
- Pour the bread mixture evenly into your prepared loaf pan and sprinkle some zucchini over the top of the bread. You can also add a few dark chocolate chunks on top if desired. Bake for 60 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean. Remove from the oven and allow to cool before slicing. Enjoy!