My hubby had a busy, stressful week and had to work late Friday night so I wanted him to come home to a warm, home-cooked meal. He basically loves anything I put in front of him .. but he particularly loves chicken. For me, I know the dish is good if he doesn’t talk and just keeps eating and if my girls eat everything too!
Now that I am cooking a little more often, one thing I absolutely love doing is flipping through food magazines, thinking about recipe ideas and reading the articles. I also love Pinterest too of course, but there’s something pretty awesome about actually turning a page and flipping through a good ole magazine. (Yes, this is yet another thing I do that is old school).
So, this one is from Food & Wine. I changed things up a bit with the chicken and used this recipe from The Kitchn so the chicken would also have a BBQ twist to it. Might sound strange but it works and is delicious: squeeze fresh lemon juice, add the cilantro and mix in Sriracha chile sauce (with a dash of low sodium soy sauce) and voila! You’ve got BBQ Thai-ish Chicken. I cooked an entire chicken in a crock pot the day before, so if you don’t have time for that, you can just use a rotisserie chicken instead.
The husband scarfed this one down (had 2 servings) and loved it. Hope you enjoy!
Slow Cooker BBQ Thai Chicken & Golden Rice
- 1 large onion, diced
- 2 to 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 2 teaspoons salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1½ to 2 cups barbecue sauce (any)
- 1 whole chicken or 3 to 4 pounds boneless skinless chicken thighs, or a mix of thighs and breasts
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- ½ tablespoon oil
- ⅛ teaspoon turmeric
- 1 cup jasmine rice, rinsed
- 1 cup chicken broth
- Salt and pepper
- ½ small white onion, thinly sliced
- ½ cup torn Thai basil
- 1 cup cilantro leaves
- Lemon wedges
- ¼ cup soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon Sriracha chile sauce
- In a large bowl, mix together the diced onion, garlic, paprika, salt and pepper and BBQ sauce. Place the chicken into the crock pot and pour in the barbecue sauce mixture on top of the chicken. Drizzle olive oil all over the chicken.
- Cook for 5 to 7 hours on LOW. If desired when the chicken is finished, you can lift out the chicken and reduce the sauce in a separate pan on the stovetop, but this may not be necessary; it simply depends on your preference. Shred chicken and set aside.
- In a small saucepan, cook the garlic in the oil over moderate heat for 1 minute. Add the turmeric and rice and cook for 1 minute. Add the broth and bring to a boil. Cover and cook over low heat for 10 minutes. Remove the pan from the heat and let stand for 5 minutes. Fluff the rice, season with salt and pepper and cover.
- To serve: In a bowl, toss the shredded chicken with the onion, basil, cilantro and 1 tablespoon of fresh lemon juice and transfer to plates.
- In a small bowl, combine the soy sauce and Sriracha. Serve the chicken with the rice, dipping sauce and lemon wedges.