I always used to toss my ripe bananas. . until one day, I decided to make banana bread. . . or maybe it was my friend Anne who said, “Girlfriend, why are you tossing those bananas?”
There are a ton of banana bread recipes out there and I’ve tried a few. My friend, Sarah, actually posted this one on Facebook as Banana Cake. I was more in the mood for banana bread so I made this in a loaf pan. . . I was trying to be good and thought, ok, I’m not going to make the cream cheese frosting. . but who am I kidding? This recipe really is delicious. I omitted the milk and added another banana and pecans to the original recipe.
After I read this description, I knew I had to give this one a try!
“This banana cake recipe is the original, the one we tested in our little kitchen until it was perfect. It’s the authentic, trusted delicious banana cake recipe that won’t have you worrying about the end result. It’s our very own moist banana cake with cream cheese frosting, the cake to serve at the end of memorable meals. A luscious banana puree keeps it moist, and the sinfully delicious cream cheese frosting envelops the golden hued cake.
The aroma of vanilla and bananas will permeate your kitchen. .” it’s wonderful! Here’s hoping you never have to toss your ripe bananas ever again! Hope you enjoy!
Banana Bread with Cream Cheese Frosting
- ½ cup butter (1 stick)
- 1½ cups sugar
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- 2 cups flour
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon vanilla
- ¾ teaspoon baking soda (add to pureed bananas)
- 3-4 pureed bananas, very ripe (if your bananas are really ripe, you can just mush them with a fork; no need to puree)
- 1-2 tablespoons chopped pecans or walnuts (optional)
- For the Cream Cheese Frosting:
- ½ stick butter, softened
- 8 oz. cream cheese, softened
- 1 - 1½ cups powdered sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Spray a loaf pan with cooking spray.
- Mix together the butter, sugar and eggs (wet). Next, mix together the flour, salt and baking powder (dry ingredients). Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and mix. Add the vanilla and mashed bananas (with the baking soda added to the bananas) to this mixture.
- Pour into loaf pan and bake for 1 hour (or when toothpick comes out dry).
- Frosting Directions:
- Using a stand mixer: Mix cream cheese and butter until smooth, add sugar and vanilla and blend well. Spread on cooled bread or cake.