What do we always seem to have in the house? Ripe bananas! So, rather than whipping out my fave banana bread recipe with cream cheese frosting, my daughter and I wanted to added a little more and this week is early release week – all week and no school on Friday- for parent/teacher conferences so we (I) wanted to have something around the house to munch on!
Whenever I bake some kind of bread, my daughter helps me . . I call her my sous chef. She’s 5 and has no idea what that means but we laugh and she loves it. So we incorporated the two things that have been swirling around in my head recently: chocolate hazelnut butter and chocolate candy! I knew buying my Halloween candy a little early wasn’t a good idea. . somehow I knew I would have to go out and buy some more. .
This Chocolate Hazelnut Banana Bread is A.M.A.Z.I.N.G. if I do say so myself. . and the Rolo bits. Yes, we added bits of Rolos in here. . the Rolo bits are awesome. You get more chocolate and caramel in a bite. Wow. Now, I don’t think I went overboard with the Rolos because I didn’t want the banana bread to be too sweet. I really think this was a great addition and really enhanced the banana bread well.
Give it a try and let me know what you think! Hope you enjoy.
Chocolate Hazelnut Banana Bread with Rolo Bits
- 4 tablespoons chocolate-hazelnut butter such as Nutella
- 3 tablespoons plus 1/2 teaspoon canola oil divided
- 3 tablespoons butter softened
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 medium ripe bananas sliced
- 2 large eggs
- 1 ½ cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- ¼ cup whole buttermilk or heavy cream
- ½ cup Rolos chopped
- Cooking spray for the loaf pan
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Combine chocolate-hazelnut butter and a 1/2 teaspoon oil in a microwave-safe dish; microwave on HIGH for 30 seconds or until melted. Stir and set aside. Using a stand mixer, combine 3 tablespoons oil, butter, brown sugar, and the ripe bananas in a large bowl; beat with a mixer at medium-high speed until well blended. Add eggs, 1 at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Weigh or lightly spoon your flour into dry measuring cups; level with a knife. Combine flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt. Beating at low speed, add the flour mixture and the buttermilk or heavy cream (alternating) into the banana mixture, beginning and ending with the flour mixture; beat just until combined. Add in the Rolo bits and stir gently by hand. Scrape half of batter into a 9 x 5-inch metal loaf pan coated with baking spray, and top with the chocolate-hazelnut spread mixture. Spread remaining batter over the chocolate mixture. Using a wooden toothpick or butter knife, swirl the batter gently. Don't overdo it. This will create the chocolate swirl in the bread.
- Bake at 350° for 55 minutes or until a toothpick comes out with moist crumbs clinging. Cool for 10 minutes in pan on a wire rack. Remove bread; cool on wire rack.