I’ve definitely had my fair share of salads this summer. I mean, with all the fresh, in-season produce, how can you not?!
Whenever I see heirloom tomatoes or yellow tomatoes, I am immediately drawn to them. I can’t just walk away. I have to pick some up. I picked these up at my local farmer’s market. My favorite way to eat them is by throwing them into a salad or simply slicing them up and eating them with some salad dressing, just plain and nothing else.
I hear though that I have to try a tomato sandwich. Like just fresh, sliced tomatoes, with a little salt, on white bread with mayonnaise. Anyone drooling yet?
The other thing I’ve been doing a lot this summer is using my slow cooker. Slow cooker in the summer? Yes! Maybe not on a day when it’s over 100 degrees, if you get hot weather like that. But hey, don’t forget about your slow cooker! It’s not just for the fall and winter!
I threw in some chicken breasts (you can certainly use boneless thigh meat as well), BBQ sauce, Worcestershire sauce, some Italian dressing and some salt. . 5 ingredients! Can’t beat that! And you’ve got dinner!
Make this salad or make a barbecue pulled chicken sandwich, or serve this over mashed potatoes or mashed cauliflower! The possibilities are endless!
And a delicious dinner is guaranteed every time.
- 2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- ½ to 1 cup BBQ sauce + more if needed
- 2 to 3 tablespoons Italian dressing
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- salt to taste
- Half head of small red cabbage, sliced thin using a mandolin slicer or food processor
- 2 tablespoons good quality extra virgin olive oil + more if needed
- 1 to 2 teaspoons red wine vinegar
- Salt and pepper to taste
- fresh mixed greens
- red and yellow tomatoes, sliced into wedges
- light drizzle of extra virgin olive oil or Italian dressing
- Place chicken breasts in your slow cooker. Using a small bowl, mix together the BBQ sauce, Italian dressing, Worcestershire sauce and a pinch of salt. Taste and adjust any ingredients as needed. Pour the sauce over the chicken and cook on high for about 4 hours. Remove the chicken from your slow cooker, and using two forks, shred the chicken breasts, and then place the shredded chicken back into the slow cooker for about 30 minutes to absorb the sauce.
- Using a large mixing bowl, toss the shredded red cabbage in the bowl. Drizzle on the olive oil and red wine vinegar and season with salt and pepper to taste. Toss together until the cabbage is nicely coated in the oil and vinegar. Taste and adjust any ingredients as needed.
- To plate: place a handful or two of fresh mixed greens onto your plate and top with some of the barbecue pulled chicken. Arrange tomato wedges around the plate and top with some of the red cabbage slaw. Drizzle on just a touch of EVOO or your favorite light Italian dressing and enjoy!
Slow Cooker BBQ Chicken recipe from 40 Aprons.