Slow Cooker Pulled Pork Sandwiches! Delicious and flavorful Slow Cooker Pulled Pork Sandwiches . . let your slow cooker do all the work! Low and slow for 8 hours and you’ve got amazing.
It’s officially cold here in Wisconsin. It was 0 degrees at one point yesterday. I think it was -15 with the wind chill. Freaking cold. And it snowed the night before. Paul was on a business trip so I had to shovel our driveway myself. I did a crappy job because I could only stay outside for 20 minutes. It was too cold.
But I guess I shouldn’t complain. I posted this on Instagram on Sunday when it was 7 degrees here . . but apparently, it was also “-31 in Manitoba, Canada”, “-2 in Des Moines” and “-38 in Irkutsk, Russia”!!! -38. . I can’t even.
And the no meat eating thing lasted for like a week. Because when I’m cold, I whip out my slow cooker (or Multi-Cooker in this case) and make something delicious.
And delicious, in this case, is this slow cooker pulled pork.
I did a few things differently. I made a dry rub for the pork, then I seared the pork and then I cooked it in the slow cooker for about 8 hours on low.
Oh my gawd, so good.
I owe all of this deliciousness to my KitchenAid Multi-Cooker. Isn’t she a beauty?
This multi-cooker is amazing. It’s a slow cooker, rice, risotto and soup maker and it can also steam, sear and sauté! It literally is a multi-cooker and the ultimate all-in-one cooking system! There are over 10 settings: risotto, rice, sear, sauté, simmer, soup, yogurt!, boil/steam, slow cooker settings in both high and low, and keep warm settings for up to 24 hours.
I am amazed every time I use it.
Yesterday, I also had the honor of taping my first cooking segment with WISC-TV here in Madison. It was all about slow cooker recipes! I’ll be doing a segment every month and this one will air on Monday, January 18. I’ll be sure to share the link once it’s online.
Until then, make this pork!!! On Friday, I’ll be posting another recipe I demo’ed during the segment.
Stay warm everyone!
Want to Make This In The Instant Pot?
Use the same recipe below and sear your pork on both sides in your instant pot on saute mode. Add the liquid. Put on the lid and cook on HIGH pressure for 1 hour. That’s it!
Slow Cooker Pulled Pork Sandwiches
For the dry rub:
- 3 tablespoons light brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon mustard powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
For the pork:
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 3 to 4 lbs. pork shoulder
- 1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1 to 2 cups tomato sauce
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
For the sandwiches:
- 4 buns
- BBQ sauce
- Serve with pickles and potato chips
For the dry rub:
- Combine the brown sugar, paprika, mustard powder, cumin, salt and pepper in a small bowl. Rub the mixture all over the pork, on both sides. Let sit for about 20 minutes if possible.
For the pork:
- Heat the vegetable oil in a large skillet or heavy bottomed dutch oven; add the pork and cook, turning, until browned on both sides, for about 5 minutes. Remove the pork and place into your slow cooker.
- Evenly pour in the vinegar, tomato sauce and Worcestershire sauce and season with more salt and pepper and cook on low for 6 to 8 hours. Remove the pork and transfer to a cutting board or plate. Using two forks, break apart the pork. Alternatively, you can chop up with a knife if desired. Place back into the slow cooker and let sit in the sauce for at least 10 to 15 minutes. Serve on buns with lettuce, slaw, barbecue sauce and pickles.
Recipe adapted from The Food Network