It seems totally fitting that I whipped out my slow cooker this week. It’s getting cooler here in Wisconsin .. yesterday was a brisk 46/47 degrees and today it’s 55 degrees! Fall is a comin’ and I love it!
I absolutely love the smell when you walk into your kitchen if you have something cooking in your slow cooker. There’s nothing like it. And I especially love slow cooking beef because it just falls apart and practically melts in your mouth. So flavorful and so amazing. I mean, come on, just look at this.
One thing I’ve learned with cooking with my slow cooker is that if you have good quality meat, you don’t really need a lot of ingredients to get something that’s flavorful and delicious. This recipe uses one of my favorite Korean ingredients, gochujang. So, if you’re feeling spicy, because, believe me, this one has some nice heat to it, I hope you give this one a try . . it’s really delicious!
And don’t forget! Today is the LAST DAY to enter my cookbook giveaway with America’s Test Kitchen. I adapted their Asian Braised Beef Short Ribs recipe (pg. 262). . so enter the giveaway. . this cookbook is fabulous and perfect for fall!!
Slow Cooker Spicy Asian Beef Short Ribs
- ¼ cup beef broth
- ¾ cup hoisin sauce
- 3 to 4 scallions diced + some for garnish
- 2 tablespoons gochujang Korean hot pepper paste
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 2 to 3 lbs. beef short ribs bone-in or boneless
- salt and pepper
- serve with white rice
- Whisk together the beef broth, hoisin sauce, diced scallions, gochujang and honey in the slow cooker. Season your short ribs with salt and pepper on both sides and nestle into the slow cooker ensuring the gochujang mixture is covering your beef.
- Cover and cook until beef is tender, for about 7-8 hours on low or 4 to 6 hours on high.
- Transfer short ribs to serving platter. Skim off any excess fat (if any) from the surface of the sauce and pour the sauce over the short ribs and garnish with more diced scallion greens. Serve with white rice.