After enjoying a nice break from the cold and snow, we had a beautiful sunny day here in Madison. How did I know the weather would turn cold and crazy again? The weather report here is always pretty right on. So, I knew I’d better enjoy the sun. . it was 37 but felt like summer. Funny how I have adjusted to the cold weather . . meaning, I don’t get freezing cold when it’s 40 degrees anymore.
Now, I know what freezing feels like.
After feeling -18, 37 degrees ain’t nothin’. And after breaking out my slow cooker for this dish, my slow cooker has held a semi-permanent place on my counter. So, I thought. . I have to make a slow cooked chili.
And I have to use beer and cheese. Two staples here in Wisconsin. So, I used a bottle of our Wisconsin Capital Brewery Annual Beer, an American Amber/ Red Lager, “a sort of catch-all category, these lagers boast a bit more malt backbone and overall character than their lighter sister styles. Bitterness is generally low.” More malt was exactly what I was going for.
Now, I’m no chili expert but I have made chili several times in my kitchen and this one is the bomb!! Maybe it was the Wisconsin cheddar, maybe it was the beer. . or maybe it was slow cooking it, allowing all the flavors to meld together. . and I’m calling this one Cheeseburger Chili because I purposely did not break up my beef so you would have big chunks of ground beef, along with a lot of cheddar cheese in every bite.
How this all comes together. . Heat some oil in a large saute pan over medium heat until shimmering. Add onions and red and green bell peppers, season with salt, and cook, stirring occasionally, until softened. Add garlic, a lot of chili powder, and cumin, stir to coat the vegetables, and cook until fragrant, about 1 minute. Add the ground beef, being careful not to break it up too small (remember, you want some nice big chunks) and cook, until the beef is no longer pink.
Transfer the mixture to your slow cooker, add the diced tomatoes, tomato sauce, beer and beans, and stir to combine. Cover and cook until the chili thickens and the flavors meld, for about 8 hours on low or 6 hours on high.
Mixture going IN the slow cooker:
After 6 hours. (These photos don’t do this chili justice. And you have to smell this chili!!! so good!)
Serve and pile on the sour cream, chives and cheese! Your slow cooker did all of the work for you. . now sit back and enjoy!
And add even more cheese like I did, yum!
Slow Cooker Cheeseburger Chili
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 medium yellow onions medium dice
- 1/2 medium to large red bell pepper medium dice
- 1/2 medium to large green bell pepper medium dice
- 6 medium garlic cloves finely chopped
- 1/4 cup chili powder
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon red chili pepper flakes optional, or you can use less
- 2 pounds lean ground beef
- 1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt + more as needed
- 1 28-ounce can diced tomatoes
- 1 28-ounce can tomato sauce
- 1 12-ounce bottle beer; dark or amber (more malt)
- 1 15-ounce can kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 15-ounce can black beans, drained and rinsed
- Shredded cheddar cheese
- Sour cream
- fresh chives; diced
- Heat the oil in a large saute pan over medium heat until shimmering. Add the onions and red and green bell peppers, season with salt, and cook, stirring occasionally, until softened, for about 6-8 minutes.
- Add the garlic, chili powder, cumin and red chili pepper flakes, stir to coat the vegetables, and cook until fragrant, for about 1 minute. Add the ground beef, being careful not to break it up too much and cook until the beef is no longer pink, for about 7 minutes.
- Carefully transfer the mixture to your slow cooker, add the diced tomatoes and their juices, the tomato sauce, pour in the beer and beans, and stir to combine. Cover and cook until the chili thickens and the flavors meld, for about 8 hours on low or 6 hours on high.
- Taste and season with salt as needed, and serve with sour cream, loads of cheddar cheese and garnish with fresh chives. Enjoy!
Recipe adapted from Chow.com.
Today is a Sunday Supper CHILI COOK-OFF!
Today we are having ourselves a good ole Chili Cook-Off!!! And the WINNER gets one ticket to the 2014 Food and Wine Conference, being held once again in sunny Orlando, Florida this July + a $25 gift card. And I want to WIN so please VOTE!!! Chili Cook-Off Voting will take place at the Sunday Supper Movement Online Community Magazine’s website, so click here to VOTE!
How should you vote? With your eyes…your heart…your mind…your stomach – however you wish! Choose the one that looks the best, or the one that your best friend made, or the one that has a tongue-tingling ingredient list, or maybe the one that just all-around makes your tummy rumble. The choice is yours! So, bring on the chili!!!
Beef and Bison Chili
- Bison & Black Bean Chili from It’s Yummi!
- Cincinnati Chili from Savvy Eats
- Easy Beef Bean Chili from The Not So Cheesy Kitchen
- Easy Chili con Carne from Manu’s Menu
- Gesundheit Chili from Magnolia Days
- Hellfire Chili from Yours And Mine Are Ours
- Hoisin Beef Chili from Small Wallet, Big Appetite
- Moroccan Harissa Spiked Chili from MarocMama
- Short Rib Chili from The Texan New Yorker
- Slow Cooker Cheeseburger Chili from Hip Foodie Mom
- Apple and Red Ale Pulled Pork Chili from Curious Cuisiniere
- Pineapple Pork Chili from Melanie Makes
Chicken, Duck, and Turkey Chili
- Asian Five Spice Duck Chili from The Girl In The Little Red Kitchen
- Buffalo Turkey Chili from La Bella Vita Cucina
- Chicken and Bell Pepper Chili from That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Chicken Meatball Chipotle Chili from Soni’s Food
- Gluten Free Turkey Chili from Gluten Free Crumbley
- Kickin’ Chicken Chili from Bobbi’s Kozy Kitchen
- Low Calorie Turkey Chili from Basic N Delicious
- Olé Mole Turkey Chili from Kudos Kitchen By Renee
- Quick & Easy Chipotle Turkey Chili from Cupcakes & Kale Chips
- Shockingly Delicious Chili Mole with Red Beans and Raisins from Shockingly Delicious
- Slow Cooker Buffalo Chicken Chili from Family Foodie
- Thai Chicken Chili from Jane’s Adventures in Dinner
- White Chicken Chili from The Foodie Army Wife
Mixed (meat combo) Chili
- Best Damn Chili Ever from Noshing With The Nolands
- Chili con Tres Carne from Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Daddy’s Favorite Chili from Momma’s Meals
- Harlem Meatloaf Chili from Neighborfood
- Leslie’s Best Chili from La Cocina de Leslie
Fish and Seafood Chili
- Scrumptious Seafood Chili from A Kitchen Hoor
- Easy Vegetarian Chili with Raisins and Cashews from Delaware Girl Eats
- New Orleans Style Vegetarian Chili from Take A Bite Out of Boca
- Vegan Slow Cooker Chili from Killer Bunnies, Inc
- Chicken Chili Cheese Fries from Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Chili Cornbread Cupcakes from In The Kitchen With KP
- Chili Topped Tater Tots from Ruffles & Truffles
- Spicy Chili Mac from girlichef
Best Wines To Pair with Chili #SundaySupper from ENOFYLZ Wine Blog
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on Twitter today! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm EST. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. Check out our#SundaySupper Pinterest board for more fabulous recipes and food photos.
Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement.