I love a good slice of pizza. . with a nice side salad . . so why not combine the two?
This Four Cheese Veggie pizza is the result of cleaning out my fridge, using every single vegetable possible, sautéing them and sneaking them into this delicious pizza for my family, er . . my husband.
My husband who tells me he eats salad for lunch at least twice a week but I don’t believe him. (Sorry, honey, I don’t believe you!) Now, we are talking about a weekday supper here so we’re using store bought fresh pizza dough. Quick, already made and ready to use. You can make your own pizza dough if you’d like but we’re keeping it simple here today. Pizzas are a great way to use up leftover meats, cheese and vegetables.
And top it with some fresh arugula, olive oil and a splash of balsamic and it’s absolutely delicious. Perfection. Dinner and a salad. All in one.
Start by sautéing all of your chopped veggies, except the bell peppers. You’re not cooking for too long, just until they are a bit softened. They will cook longer in the oven when you are baking the pizza. Set aside when finished.
On to the pizza dough.
Roll out the pizza dough and transfer to your prepared baking sheet or pizza stone. I use my Silpain non-stick baking mat for bread and pizza. It always gives me a nice crisp and perfectly cooked crust. Now, it’s not wood-fired pizza crispy and oh how I would kill for a wood-fire oven in my backyard. Ha! Well, I’ll keep dreaming and will just close my eyes, eat my veggie pizza and dream of being in Italy.
Sorry for that diversion. Let’s get back to this glorious pizza at hand. Brush on some tomato sauce, dollop (or spread) on some fresh ricotta cheese, your provolone and start putting on your toppings. Please, please do not skip the fresh ricotta cheese. It is heaven on this pizza.
Top with the red bell pepper slices and cheese.
And bake at 400 degrees for 20-25 minutes or until crust is browned and crispy and cheese is bubbling.
Let cool for about 5-6 minutes, top with the fresh arugula, olive oil and a splash of balsamic! Slice, serve and enjoy immediately!
Four Cheese Leek and Mushroom Pizza for #WeekdaySupper
- 1-2 tablespoons olive oil + more for topping
- 1-2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 cup brussels sprouts chopped
- 1 cup cauliflower chopped
- 1 cup leeks tender light green and white parts only, chopped
- 1 cup cremini mushrooms sliced
- 1 cup spinach leaves
- salt and pepper to taste
- store bought pizza dough + flour for dusting
- tomato sauce
- about 1/2 cup ricotta cheese or 4 dollops
- 6 slices or freshly grated provolone cheese
- 1/3 cup freshly grated mozzarella cheese
- 1/4 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
- 1/2 red bell pepper sliced
- fresh arugula
- balsamic vinegar
- Heat the olive oil in a large sauté pan over medium-high heat. Add the garlic and sauté for a minute. Add all of your chopped veggies, except the red bell peppers, sautéing until they are softened, for about 5-6 minutes. They will cook longer in the oven when you are baking the pizza. Remove from the heat and set aside when finished.
- Working on a lightly floured surface, roll out the pizza dough and, using your rolling pin, transfer to your prepared baking sheet, pizza stone or Silpain non-stick baking mat. Brush on some tomato sauce, dollop (or spread) on the fresh ricotta cheese, your provolone cheese and start putting on your vegetable toppings. Drain the liquid from the sauté pan before adding the vegetables.
- Top with the red bell pepper slices and then sprinkle on the mozzarella and parmesan cheese. Bake at 400 degrees for 20-25 minutes or until crust is browned and crispy and cheese is bubbling.
- Let cool for about 5-6 minutes, top with the fresh arugula, olive oil and a splash of balsamic vinegar. Slice, serve and enjoy immediately!
Need weeknight dinner ideas? Be sure to check out this fabulous lineup for this week! Unfortunately, since it’s TUESDAY, you’ll have to come back on Friday to see all of the published recipes but click on over to all of these fabulous blogs and check out their lovely recipes!
Tuesday – Hip Foodie Mom – Four Cheese Leek and Mushroom Pizza- That’s me! 🙂
I hope you enjoy!