Summer is here and for most of us, this means getting outdoors more, soaking up the sun and just relaxing. For me, I seem to be more active in the summer. The weather is nicer and we seem to be outside more often running around or having fun. If you know me, you know I drink a lot of water. Like a lot.
Thanks to Balance Bar and Ball Canning, this is my current, new obsession. Fresh fruit flavored water. I love it! And I’ve always loved mason jars. I think they are so pretty .. we actually drink out of mason jars all the time. And now I have this super cool Mason Jar Infuser!
So, why did Balance Bar send me this stuff?
Balance Bar® just kicked off a Summer Shape-Up Challenge to help people move more, eat healthier and feel great while enjoying the summer. “The 40-day Challenge will be filled with 30-minute workouts, healthy eating tips and multiple social media giveaways on Facebook, Pinterest and Twitter. Holly Del Rosso, an NASM certified personal trainer, created the exercise program which includes 18 different 30-minute workouts focused on different parts of the body such as abs, legs and back.”
“It’s important to do at least 30 minutes of physical activity each day like walking, running or just moving your body, and making nutritious meal and snacking decisions is critical for getting the most out of your fitness routine,” said Holly Del Rosso, personal trainer and Balance Bar spokesperson. “I always tell my clients to eat a small meal or snack like a Balance Bar at least 90 minutes before any workout to ensure they have the best levels of energy.”
Holly’s shares her summer workout philosophies and tips on Balance.com which include the following ideas:
- Take your workout outside. Outdoor workouts are challenging and refreshing so try paddle boarding, surfing, cycling, yoga in the park or group runs like a 5K.
- Eat seasonal fruits and veggies. Most fruits and veggies are at their peak during summer months and by eating them you’re adding more nutrients to your diet. Look to add a host of different colors to your meal with various fruits and vegetables. Try grilling vegetables (corn, eggplant or zucchini) for a delicious side to your dinner or add juicy fruits (blackberries, peaches and melon) to your morning breakfast.
- Find a buddy to workout with. By partnering with someone, you’re more likely to work out when you say you will and it’s also a great way to catch up with old friends. Some of my favorite “buddy workouts” include biking, outdoor dancing classes, canoeing, and of course, hiking (with a healthy picnic at the end!)
- Drink more “fun” water! It’s important to drink a plenty of water especially in the summer when you’re more prone to dehydration. I like to make infused water mocktails to make water more exciting and delicious and only adding 20 calories or less. Buy some fresh fruits, slice them up and add to your water. My favorite combinations are peaches and strawberries, strawberries and mint or cucumber and watermelon and you’ll want to drink it all day in fun infusers like these from the Ball® brand.
- Eat many small meals. When you eat smaller portions more frequently, your metabolic rate tends to be higher (meaning you can burn calories more easily). I always tell my clients to eat 5-6 small meals a day that are packed with nutrients, including a snack in between each meal with something like a Cookie Dough Balance Bar® which will keep you full longer and help satisfy your appetite. Balance Bar® is also a great snack to put in your purse or gym bag so you always have a nutritious snack on-hand and can avoid making those bad snack choices at that last minute and when on the go.
“Balance Bar offers over 20 varieties of bars based on the 40-30-30 nutrition principle – a proven formula developed by scientists to help maintain your blood sugar levels already within a normal range. They help fill you up and give you energy that lasts through your workouts and daily activities.”
I personally always eat half of a nutrition bar before I go running and now I think I am set for a few weeks! If you’d like to win everything you see above, plus a variety of Balance Bars, enter the giveaway below. Good luck and make sure you check out Balance Bar’s website for the 30-minute workouts, healthy eating tips and learn more about multiple social media giveaways on their social media networks.
(open to residents within the United States only)
Disclosure: I was provided the products as shown above to help promote this Summer Shape-Up Challenge. I was not paid for this post and all opinions expressed here are 100% my own.