Madeline’s favorite macaroni and cheese. School is back in session and we are ready to go with this creamy, delicious macaroni and cheese. This is Madeline’s favorite. Pack it for lunch or make this for dinner! This will soon become a family favorite!
This recipe and post is sponsored by Land O’Lakes.
For many of us, the summer just flew by. I had a list of things I wanted to do this summer. Some I accomplished, some I did not, but I’ll just focus on what we did do. My kids got to play, swim, relax and have fun. They got to spend time with their cousins and soak up the sun. The first day of school is always bittersweet for all of us. I remember when my kids started kindergarten and all the nerves. Walking them in, meeting the teacher, saying a little prayer inside to myself that my kids meet other nice, good kids and have a great school year.
I’ve been reminiscing about previous first days of school and just thinking about how much my kids have grown and matured. I’m super excited for them and know that this school year is going to be fabulous.
A lot of parents get stressed with the start of each new school year: things to do, activities to schedule, sports, lessons, tutors, competitions and games to keep up with. For some, what to pack for lunch or what to make for dinner also adds to that stress, but I’m here to help! Check out my post on 25 Healthy Back-to-School Lunch Ideas.
My advice to all parents: meal plan. It will help you tremendously. Plan, grocery shop and prep in advance, especially for those nights when you are shuttling your children around to multiple after school activities and lessons. And for the first day of school, or when your child maybe has a test or something stressful, pack a lunch (or make a dinner) that your kids love.
Madeline’s Favorite Macaroni and Cheese
Today, I’m sharing one of Madeline’s, my youngest daughter, favorites. It’s my creamy, dreamy macaroni and cheese. This is comfort in a bowl for Madeline. She loves it! This beloved family favorite starts with great, quality ingredients, as all macaroni and cheese recipes should. We use Land O Lakes® Butter with Canola Oil. I love using it because not only is it delicious, it’s made with only three ingredients: sweet cream, canola oil and salt, and I literally have it in my refrigerator at all times. Land O Lakes® Butter with Canola Oil and Land O Lakes® Sharp Cheddar American (or their Deli American, which is another household favorite) are the two key ingredients which I believe make this macaroni and cheese so delicious! Land O Lakes® Sharp Cheddar American combines the bold flavor of cheddar and the rich creaminess of Deli American. It’s so good and it melts so wonderfully when you’re making macaroni and cheese.
Now that we are back in session for school and fall is right around the corner, you’d better believe we will be making Madeline’s favorite macaroni and cheese on repeat. We hope you give this recipe a try!
Now that we are back in session for school, and fall is right around the corner, you’d better believe we will be making Madeline’s favorite macaroni and cheese on repeat. We hope you give this recipe a try!
Madeline’s Favorite Macaroni and Cheese
Madeline's Favorite Macaroni and Cheese
- 1 pound elbow pasta
- 2½ teaspoons of kosher salt split
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons Land O Lakes® Butter with Canola Oil
- 1½ cups whole or 2% milk split
- 2 to 3 cups freshly grated Land O Lakes® Sharp Cheddar American
- 1½ teaspoons dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- ½ teaspoon smoked paprika + more if desired
- salt and pepper
- Bring a pot of water to a boil over high heat. Add the pasta and 2 teaspoons of salt. Cook until the pasta is al dente, about 8 minutes. Drain and set aside.
- Prepare the roux: Whisk together the flour and Land O Lakes® Butter with Canola Oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. It will form a paste. Slowly pour in and whisk the milk to incorporate and keep whisking until smooth and becomes thick, for about 3 to 4 minutes.
- Turn the heat to low and begin adding in and mixing the handfuls of the grated Land O Lakes® Sharp Cheddar American into the roux. Stir in the remaining ½ teaspoon of salt, dijon mustard, Worcestershire sauce and the smoked paprika. Stir until all the Land O Lakes® Sharp Cheddar American has melted and the sauce is creamy. Taste and adjust the seasonings as desired.
- Add the cooked pasta and stir together until all of the pasta is nicely coated. Let cook in the saucepan for an additional 2 to 3 minutes. Stir together one last time, season with salt and pepper if desired and then serve and enjoy!