Clean Out The Fridge Fried Rice!! This is my family’s favorite fried rice! This is a great way to use up leftover vegetables and protein! Hope you try it!
We are big rice eaters. Maybe it’s because we’re Korean and I grew up eating rice, but my family and I love rice. I could seriously eat rice everyday if my waistline would let me.
One of the easiest recipes I love making is fried rice. Kimchi Fried Rice is a family favorite. But when I have lots of leftover vegetables in the fridge, I always make a Clean Out The Fridge Fried Rice.
The most important ingredient, in my mind, is day old rice. Just like any other fried rice recipe, day old rice works best because it’s dried out a little. Fresh rice in a fried rice would result in a mushy rice and who likes mushy fried rice? Not me.
Fried Rice Is So Versatile
I love that you can literally throw just about anything into fried rice. Any and all vegetables, beef, chicken, tofu, shrimp and pork. You can also make a meatless fried rice. If you ask my daughters, they will each tell you their favorite component in fried rice. Madeline loves the eggs and Phoebe loves the meat.
The Key To My Eggs
I greatly dislike a mushy fried rice and I also don’t like fried rice where the eggs just disappear in the rice. This is why I cook my eggs separately; in a separate pan, and add them at the end. Trust me, this is the best way to add eggs into your fried rice. I hope you try the recipe!
Clean Out The Fridge Fried Rice
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 small onion chopped
- 2 carrots peeled and chopped
- 1 bell pepper (any color) chopped
- 1 heaping cup broccoli florets sliced in half
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 3 to 4 large eggs whisked together
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1 heaping teaspoon ginger grated + more if desired
- 4 cups day old cooked rice
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1 to 2 tablespoons sesame oil
- 3 tablespoons low sodium soy sauce + more if needed
- cooked rotisserie chicken cubed
- leftover pan fried tofu cubed; optional
- green onions diced for garnish
- sesame seeds
- Using a large pan or wok over medium-high heat, heat the oil and after a few minutes, add in all the vegetables from the onions to the broccoli. Stir and cook until softened.
- While the vegetables are cooking, heat a small pan over medium heat. Add in the butter and swirl around the pan. Add in the eggs and turn the heat to low. Using a spatula, bring the eggs in towards the center of the pan; working from the outside in. Continue this until the eggs are cooked. I like soft cooked eggs so I remove them from the heat immediately.
- Add the garlic and ginger to the pan with the vegetables and cook, stirring, until fragrant, for 1 minute. Add the rice and pour the water directly onto the dry day old cold rice. Add the sesame oil and soy sauce and then, using a wooden spoon, break up the rice and mix and stir until the rice has warmed through and is softened and is combined with all the other vegetables.
- Add the chicken and the tofu (or any cooked protein) and toss together again. Lastly, add in the cooked eggs and gently mix together in the fried rice. Garnish with green onions and sesame seeds if desired and serve! Enjoy immediately.