Peach Croissants and Savory Sweet Life

So, my copy of Savory Sweet Life, the cookbook by Alice Currah, arrived yesterday and I read the entire thing in about two hours. Couldn’t put it down. (yes, I’m talking about a cookbook!) Not only were the recipes approachable and inviting (not to mention all of the gorgeous food photography! Now, THIS is a cookbook.) but Alice also shared a lot of very sweet stories about her family, children, and her father. . this is a heart-warming, makes you smile while you read it, makes you want to get out of bed at midnight and go cook something- kind-of-a-cookbook. I loved it. Everyone needs to go buy a copy right now. And most of these are not lavish, complicated recipes. These are super delicious looking (makes you drool) recipes that you will actually make for your family during the week and enjoy as you eat together!

As soon as I woke up this morning, I knew I was going to make the Peach Croissants. My kids LOVE peaches so we have a refrigerator full of them right now . . and I actually already had all of the ingredients needed for this recipe! If you haven’t baked with puff pastry before, you are in for a treat. Love, love, love puff pastry! If you like these, take a look at the bottom of this post for a Chicken Curry Puffs recipe.

Also, if you can’t get your hands on any good, fresh peaches anymore, peeled granny smith apples, pears, plums and nectarines will work with this recipe as well! Hope you enjoy!

So Easy Peach Croissants!!

Peach Croissants

These croissants will blow your mind! And with the melted Nutella on top, wow.
Author:
Recipe type: Breakfast or Dessert
Cuisine: American
Serves: 4

Ingredients
  • 1 fresh peach
  • 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
  • 2 tsp ground cinnamon
  • 1 sheet frozen puff pastry; thawed
  • Egg wash: 1 egg yolk beaten with 1 teaspoon water
  • Sliced strawberries
  • Melted chocolate hazelnut butter (or Nutella)
  • Confectioners sugar; to dust

Instructions
  1. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
  2. Cut the peach in half and remove the pit. Slice each peach half into 6-7 slices. In a small bowl, mix the sugar and cinnamon together. Set aside.
  3. Roll out the puff pastry. Cut the puff pastry sheet in half vertically and then horizontally so you have 4 equal square pieces. Rotate a square so it looks like a diamond. Place 3-4 peach slices across the center of the diamond from left to right. Sprinkle one-fourth of the cinnamon mixture evenly over the peach slices and the puff pastry. Grab the top and bottom corners and bring them to the center, pinching them together to seal them. Repeat the process with each of the remaining squares.
  4. Place the croissants on the baking sheet. Brush the puff pastry with the egg wash. Bake for 25 minutes, or until the croissants are golden brown.
  5. To serve: add sliced strawberries, drizzle melted chocolate hazelnut butter and dust with confectioners sugar

Recipe from Savory Sweet Life by Alice Currah

Liked the puff pastry? Click here for my Chicken Curry Puffs recipe!

35 Responses to "Peach Croissants and Savory Sweet Life"

1. petit4chocolatier

August 30, 2012 at 6:02 pm

These look divine!

2. gottagetbaked

August 31, 2012 at 12:31 am

We need to start scheduling visits with each other so that we can eat all the good things we bake! These are gorgeous and I love how simple the recipe is! The step by step photos are fabulous.

August 31, 2012 at 9:28 am

Nancy, haha! Thank you so much! I just (today) discovered this #FoodiePenPals thing. Wanna try? I need to read up on it more. . but I think we send each other stuff related to recipes we’ve tried?

• gottagetbaked

August 31, 2012 at 8:10 pm

I checked out the link and it says that they only match Canadians with Canadians and Americans with Americans :( Unless you and I should just arrange it ourselves. I’m going to have to look into what I can ship over the border food wise…

3. Stephanie

August 31, 2012 at 10:04 am

Those look so beautiful! And it seems like the peach flavor really shines!

August 31, 2012 at 10:08 am

Thank you so much for the lovely compliment! These croissants are really yummy and very subtle. . not too sweet; I think they are perfect!

4. Allison

August 31, 2012 at 12:16 pm

Those look awesome! I can’t get enough of baked goods that involve peaches this summer…

August 31, 2012 at 2:38 pm

Thank you! I know what you mean! We are enjoying as many as we can for as long as possible! :)

5. girlichef

September 2, 2012 at 5:50 am

You pretty much had me at puff pastry…but add those fresh peaches and I’m a goner. These are beautiful!

September 2, 2012 at 9:21 am

Haha, thank you! :) I SO love puff pastry now and don’t know how I’ve functioned for so long without it. . now, I feel like I always need to have some and am constantly thinking of what I can bake with them. If you like eggs, I have a great recipe for breakfast puffs! Let me know if you are interested! :)

6. Liz

September 2, 2012 at 6:02 pm

Oh.my. These look to die for!!! If I can get some end of the season peaches, I will try these beauties!!!!

September 2, 2012 at 6:23 pm

Hi Liz! If you live close to a Costco, they sell organic peaches now! :) (at least the one here in WA does) And yes, you must try this recipe. . you can also try peeled apples, pears, plums and nectarines!

7. JulieD

September 5, 2012 at 10:58 am

Alice, this looks beautiful!!! I love Alice’s cookbook. She’s so awesome!

September 5, 2012 at 1:21 pm

Thank you Julie! :) Yes, I seriously LOVE her cookbook. . I am making her Chicken Marsala tonight! :)

8. Melissa

September 13, 2012 at 3:15 am

These look amazing! I’m going to have to try these out soon! Just found your blog and I’m really enjoying it. Thanks!

September 13, 2012 at 4:49 am

Thank you so much, Melissa! I’m so glad you found my blog too! If you can’t find good peaches anymore, you can also use peeled granny smith apples, pears, plums or nectarines. Please let me know how it turns out for you!

9. Lauren

September 14, 2012 at 11:58 pm

Gorgeous Alice!!! I’m going to have to try these…

September 15, 2012 at 4:44 am

Hi Lauren!
      yes, you must! I’m telling everyone since peach season is just about over. If you can’t find good peaches anymore, you can also use peeled granny smith apples, pears, plums or nectarines. Please let me know how it turns out for you!

10. Julia

September 16, 2012 at 5:46 am

Beautiful presentation!

September 16, 2012 at 6:31 am

Thank you so much, Julia!

11. Ashley - Baker by Nature

September 17, 2012 at 5:44 pm

I’ve been dying to get my hands on that book – must do! And these croissants??! IN LOVE!!! You did such a great job recreating them!

September 17, 2012 at 6:02 pm

hi Ashley, YES, BUY THIS COOKBOOK. I love it! And thank you for the lovely compliment! :) I’m trying these again this weekend with peeled apples! I can’t get enough of puff pastry!

12. Pingback: My Take on Spanakopita . . . with Puff Pastry! | Hip Foodie Mom

13. Chelsey

September 25, 2012 at 4:30 pm

THAT looks amazing!

September 25, 2012 at 6:51 pm

Thank you so much, Chelsey!

14. baker street

October 12, 2012 at 8:57 am

What an incredible dessert! I love alice’s cookbook too! Must try this recipe soon.

October 23, 2012 at 7:38 am

Thank you, Anuradha! :) Yes, you must try this recipe! Hell, I’m cooking my way through all of her recipes! :) Love her cookbook!

15. Madeline Moy

October 23, 2012 at 7:34 am

You’ve done Alice Currah proud!

October 23, 2012 at 7:38 am

haha, thank you Madeline! :)

16. Kim Bee

October 26, 2012 at 3:12 am

Oh my gosh, these are gorgeous. I guess I’m adding another cookbook to the “to buy`list.

October 26, 2012 at 2:26 pm

Kim, oh yes! This cookbook is another must! You will seriously want to make every single recipe in this book and the recipes are easy and totally doable- that’s what I love most about it! :) thank you for the comment! :)

17. Jaime @ Jaim's Kitchen

October 28, 2012 at 8:34 pm

Hi Alice, I’m new to your lovely blog, courtesy of Danny’s Kitchen’s Follow Friday tweet. Loving your recipes and blog, especially this scrumptious peach croissants. Looking forward to reading more x

18. Sandra's Easy Cooking

December 8, 2012 at 6:48 pm

Got to try this…looks very tempting!

19. Pingback: 15 Amazing Croissant Recipes