Muddy Buddies! A holiday favorite and probably the only time of the year I am stocked up on powdered sugar. Great for snacking on, giving as gifts and for holiday parties, you’ve got to make these!
My sweet tooth seems to go into overdrive over the holiday season. I don’t know what it is but I am always wanting or reaching for something sweet to snack on. Holiday cookies, holiday chocolate bark, chocolate covered pretzels, Christmas crack, or these. They are all so good.
What Do You Call Them?
Puppy Chow, Reindeer Poop or Muddy Buddies. . what do you call them?
“Vaguely Midwestern, and easy enough for a middle schooler to make, this masterpiece of Chex cereal, peanut butter, chocolate, and powdered sugar is in the dessert hall of fame. Puppy chow, the human food, is made by pouring melted butter, peanut butter, and chocolate chips over Chex cereal, mixing well, then dumping the mixture into a bag full of powdered sugar. It has all the elements of a good party food: sweet, salty and crunchy.” click here to read more. Well, whatever you call them, these are so delicious, easy to make and addicting. Make some and enjoy!
- gallon sized zip top bag
- 2 cups chocolate chips* semi-sweet or bittersweet, or a blend of both
- 1 1/2 cups creamy peanut butter
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 pinch kosher salt
- 7 cups Rice Chex cereal + peanut butter filled pretzels if desired
- 1 to 1 1/2 cups powdered sugar + more if needed
- Using a microwave safe bowl, pour in the chocolate chips and add the creamy peanut butter and microwave in 30-second intervals, stirring after each until the mixture is completely melted and smooth. Whisk in the vanilla extract and salt.
- Using a large mixing bowl, add in the Rice Chex cereal and the pretzels if using. Pour the melted chocolate and peanut butter mixture over the top and gently mix together using a rubber spatula. Refrigerate for about 5 minutes.
- Place half of the chocolate covered Rice Chex cereal mix into a gallon sized zip top bag (use 2 separate bags if needed) and add half of the powdered sugar over the top. Seal the bag, then shake it until all of the cereal is coated with powdered sugar. Repeat with the remaining chocolate covered cereal mixture.
- Enjoy right away or spread the mixture out onto a lined sheet baking pan to set, for about 15 to 20 minutes, then store in an airtight container in the refrigerator.