Peppermint cookies are a delicious holiday treat, but they’re even more delicious when chocolate is involved! Minty chocolate chip cookies with a sweet peppermint glaze and crushed peppermint candies on top. The perfect holiday cookie recipe!
Glazed Peppermint Cookies with Chocolate Chips (Recipe Video)
Watch this quick video and you’ll see just how easy it is to make these chocolate studded, glazed peppermint cookies!
My favorite time of the year is right around the corner! Holiday baking, gift giving and cookie exchanges! If there’s one thing I look forward to every holiday season, it’s baking.
Growing up, my friend’s mother would bake us homemade cookies every Christmas. She made the best chocolate chip cookies I have ever tasted. One year, there was a surprise, with an assortment of holiday decorated sugar cookies. My mom is an excellent cook but she didn’t bake much so whenever we got homemade goodies, it was always a treat for my brother, sister and I.
I would look forward to that big cookie tin from Mrs. Yoon every year, and every year, we’d eat the entire thing in 2 days.
My love for holiday cookie baking grew as I got older and flourished after I got married and especially after I had kids. My kids love my cookies and I love baking for them!
Double Peppermint Chocolate Chip Cookies
Today, I made glazed peppermint cookies with chocolate chips. Pure mint extract in the chocolate chip cookie dough with glaze and crushed peppermint candies on top! These cookies are SO good and perfect for the holidays!
The World’s Largest Cookie Exchange
This year, I’m participating in Better Homes and Gardens’ holiday program: The World’s Largest Cookie Exchange!! Now, doesn’t this sound like something you want to be a part of?! If you like baking cookies, and like giving cookies away over the holidays, then keep reading and click here to see even more easy Christmas cookie recipes!
For more fun, follow the #BHGCookieExchange hashtag on social media. When you do, you will see photos of holiday cookies from those participating, and just some great cookie fun!
Happy Holidays (it’s November so I can say this now!) and let’s get baking!
Glazed Peppermint Cookies with Chocolate Chips
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon fine salt
- 8 oz unsalted butter room temperature
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon pure peppermint or mint extract
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar sifted
- 3 to 5 tablespoons heavy cream
- 12 peppermint candies crushed, for decorating
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees and prep a parchment lined baking sheet. Using a large mixing bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, and salt. Set aside.
- Using your stand mixer fitted with the flat beater attachment, mix together the butter, sugar and the peppermint extract on medium-high until pale and fluffy, for about 3 minutes. Beat in the egg, and then slowly pour in the flour mixture, a little at a time, with the setting on low. Stir in chocolate chips.
- Roll dough into 1 1/2-inch balls and place, 2 inches apart, on your parchment-lined baking sheets. Bake the cookies for about 12 to 14 minutes, or until the edges are lightly golden, rotating your baking sheets halfway through. Let cool on sheets for about 5 minutes, then transfer cookies to racks and let cool completely.
- Using a small bowl, whisk together the confectioners' sugar and start with 2 to 3 tablespoons of the heavy cream, adding more if needed to get the consistency you want. Spread a thin layer of glaze on top of each cookie, or drizzle the glaze, and sprinkle with the crushed peppermint candies. Let dry completely on racks and enjoy!