Paleo Chocolate Chip Cookies made with a flax egg, coconut flour, almond flour, coconut sugar, almond butter and more!
I can’t believe December is almost here. Thanksgiving came and went and now we’re preparing for Christmas. I’ve had a crazy few weeks and it’s not going to stop anytime soon. Work and life are keeping me busy. The holidays are such a crazy busy time. I hope we all can find some time to just sit and relax.
We immediately put our Christmas tree up and have decorated the house a bit. Our Elf has arrived again. . you know, from the North Pole. . and the girls are so excited.
These next few weeks I’m going to be focused. On baking and cookies. I’m trying to master the cut out sugar cookie, chocolate crinkle cookie, cinnamon eggnog cookies, bake some peppermint macarons and of course, these cookies again.
And somewhere amidist all of that, these cookies need to happen. Again. Because they are fabulous.
And I used a flax egg instead of a real egg. Here’s what you do:
And then you mix everything up.
The almond butter in these cookies adds an extra creaminess and of course, that extra almond butter flavor. Be sure to use real, natural, creamy almond butter (with no sugar or salt added). Almond butter fanatics, you can thank me later.
Now, if you follow me on social media, you know I make these paleo chocolate chips cookies all the time. I am obsessed.
But these are a little different so be sure to give these a try. And try the flax egg! Each tablespoon of ground flaxseed contains about 1.8 grams of plant omega-3s. Omega-3 essential fatty acids, are the “good” fats that have been shown to have heart-healthy effects.*
I love the texture of these cookies and if you don’t make the flax egg, you can use a regular large egg .. but don’t skip the blend of semi-sweet + bittersweet chocolate chips! You have to try it!
And the salt on top!
- 1 tablespoon ground flaxseed
- 2 tablespoons water
- ¼ cup coconut oil, melted and cooled
- ½ cup coconut sugar
- 6 tablespoons natural creamy almond butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup almond flour
- ¼ cup coconut flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt + more for sprinkling
- ½ cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- ½ cup bittersweet chocolate chips
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Combine the flaxseed meal and water in a small bowl and mix together. Let sit for about 5 to 10 minutes to thicken.
- Using a large mixing bowl, add in your flax egg and add in the coconut oil, coconut sugar, almond butter and vanilla extract. Mix together until smooth.
- In a separate bowl, mix together the almond flour, coconut flour, baking soda and kosher salt. Slowly add the dry ingredients into the wet and mix together until just combined.
- Add in the semi-sweet and bittersweet chocolate chips and mix together using a rubber spatula. Use a cookie scoop and scoop out tablespoon sized cookie dough balls and place on the baking sheet. Gently press down (just slightly) with your hands. I baked 12 cookies on one baking sheet. The cookies do not spread.
- Bake for about 12 to 13 minutes, or until golden brown. Remove from oven and sprinkle on kosher salt or sea salt if desired. Let cool slightly before serving.
Inspired by Ambitious Kitchen’s Paleo Chocolate Chip Cookies