Butternut Squash and Kale Quiche!!! Celebrate the flavors of fall with this delicious and savory quiche! Packed with roasted butternut squash, kale and gruyere cheese!
My sister, Grace, and I love quiche. And butternut squash. We’d always hit up the local La Madeleine’s in Dallas and our orders would be the same every single time. I would order their caesar salad with grilled chicken and Grace would order their quiche lorraine or quiche florentine. We would, of course, balance our meals out with plenty of their homemade bread and some cookies.
Often times when I’m baking something for the blog, sweet or savory, I’ll save some and freeze it so I can take it to my sister. The last time my father was here in town, he was going to take the bus from Madison to Minneapolis to go visit my sister for a few days. I bought his bus ticket online and packed, I kid you not, like 6 or 7 things for my dad to take to my sister. Cookies, pie, cheesecake, and some of this Butternut Squash and Kale quiche.
Well, I screwed up royally and took my dad to the wrong bus stop, for Greyhound, the bus stop location that is listed online isn’t actually the correct location. If I had looked at the bus ticket that I printed out, I would have seen that the bus stop location was different. . I just looked at the address listed online on their website. . silly me!
So, my dad never made it to Minnesota that day. And everything promptly went back into the freezer, except this quiche. My parents ate all of it so I need to bake a new one when I’m with my sister and her family for the upcoming holidays!
Looking for a great, savory quiche that’s packed with butternut squash and kale? This is it!
This quiche is made with Davidson’s Safest Choice Eggs. If there’s ever a worry that the eggs aren’t fully cooked, there’s no need to worry. These eggs are pasteurized which means there is no risk of salmonella in the eggs before they even enter your kitchen. I personally use these eggs all the time for baking but Davidson’s Safest Choice Eggs should definitely be considered when making recipes such as Hollandaise, Caesar salad dressing and other sauces, or sunny side up,poached or soft scrambled eggs.
I hope you give this quiche a try this holiday season! You won’t regret it. . it’s absolutely delicious!!! I used a store bought frozen pie shell here to keep it simple, but if you have the time, make your own! Here’s my recipe for pastry dough, for pies, quiche, tarts and more!
Butternut Squash and Kale Quiche
- 8- inch store bought pie shell thawed
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil divided
- ½ cup onion diced
- ½ cup leeks diced (white and tender green parts only)
- 4 oz. cremini mushrooms sliced
- 2 heaping cups kale chopped
- salt and pepper
- ½ teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 ½ to 2 cups roasted cooked butternut squash
- 4 Davidson’s Safest Choice eggs
- 1/3 cup heavy cream
- 6 oz. gruyere cheese shredded
- Preheat your oven to 375 degrees. Prick your pie shell with a fork on the sides and bottom. Add pie weights and bake for about 8 to 10 minutes. Remove from the oven and set aside.
- Using a skillet over medium high heat, heat the olive oil and, after a minute or 2, add the onions and leeks and sauté for about 4 to 5 minutes. Add the mushrooms and cook until tender, for another 4 to 5 minutes.
- Add in the kale and season with the salt, pepper and nutmeg. Cook for about 3 to 4 minutes, or until the kale has softened a bit. Remove from the heat. Pour the cooked mushroom and kale mixture into the partially baked pie shell and cover evenly with the roasted butternut squash.
- Using a medium sized mixing bowl, whisk together the eggs, heavy cream and season with more salt and pepper. Mix in the shredded gruyere cheese and pour the egg mixture evenly over the mushroom, kale and butternut squash.
- Bake for about 30 to 35 minutes, or until the quiche has browned nicely around the edges and a tester inserted in the center comes out clean. Slice, serve and enjoy.
Disclosure: This is a sponsored post in partnership with Davidson’s Safest Choice Eggs. All opinions expressed here are my own. Thank you for supporting me in working with the brands and products that I use and love.