Delicious and easy to make Summer Potato Tomato Tart!!! You’ve got to try this! And using puff pastry makes it so easy!
It’s officially June and I can hardly believe that my kids will be finished with school next week! We are so excited about this summer in particular because it will be our very first summer here in Wisconsin. We were here briefly last August for one week when we were house hunting but that trip, of course, did not allow us much free time to check out what would soon be our new hometown.
So, this summer we get to explore and have fun! There will be trips to the Madison Farmer’s Market, the neighborhood pool, the Children’s museum, the library and our community garden, where we’ve planted some of our favorite vegetables and herbs. And as far as summer eating is concerned, I like to keep meals light and easy during the day which means lots of sandwiches, fruit and all kinds of salads.
We also love to entertain and enjoy summer eating with friends because, I don’t know about you, but eating with friends is always better. And when it comes to summer food, we are always grilling outside. My husband always manages the grill, which leaves me with appetizer and side dish duty. We’ve always grown tomatoes in the garden and I especially like to eat my tomatoes with potatoes. Thinly sliced, delicious red potatoes to be exact.
So, today, I’m thrilled to share this savory, delicious summer potato and tomato tart. One bite into this baby and you know summer is here. And when you serve this, be sure to save a slice for yourself because any time there’s puff pastry involved, it’s sure to be eaten up fast!
Summer Potato and Tomato Tart
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil + more before serving
- 2 small to medium sized red potatoes unpeeled and sliced thin (I highly recommend using a mandolin slicer)
- 2 sheets frozen puff pastry thawed
- 1/2 cup crème fraîche
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 1 fresh garlic clove; minced
- 2 beefsteak tomatoes; sliced thin
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2-3 sprigs fresh thyme; leaves only
- freshly grated Pecorino cheese
- Heat the olive oil in a large, non-stick pan over medium high heat. After a minute or so, add in the potato slices and cook for a few minutes on each side. Remove from the heat and set aside.
- Preheat your oven to 375 degrees. Prepare a parchment paper lined baking sheet and roll out your puff pastry sheets. Connect the two sheets, overlapping them just an inch, in order to create one big sheet. Fold over the edges all around the puff pastry to create an outer crust (see photos).
- Mix together the crème fraîche, dijon mustard and minced garlic. Spread this mixture on top of the puff pastry, evenly. Layer on the potatoes and tomato slices, alternating or arranging in any pattern you want. Season with salt and pepper and sprinkle on the fresh thyme. Bake for 30 - 35 minutes or until the potatoes are cooked through and the puff pastry crust is golden brown.
- Remove from the oven and let cool for at least 5 minutes. Lightly drizzle on a touch more extra virgin olive oil (if desired) and sprinkle on fresh pecorino cheese. Enjoy!
I’m so thrilled to be here today with some fabulous bloggers and partnering with Black Gold Farms. Black Gold Farms is a multi-generational, family owned organization that has been in business more than 80 years. They are now a global potato production, sales, and service company, as well as an industry leader that ships more than 500 million pounds of potatoes each year, to be made into potato chips or eaten fresh from your plate.
A fabulous group of bloggers has come together thanks to Brenda from A Farmgirl’s Dabbles for some #SummerFood fun. Please visit these sites for some more red potato recipe inspiration with #BetterWithReds!
- A Farmgirl’s Dabbles – Grilled Red Potato Packets with Pesto Ranch Sauce
- A Zesty Bite – Stuffed Red Potatoes
- Big Bear’s Wife – Shrimp and Red Potato Boil
- Eat 2 Gather – Roasted Red Potato and Steak Breakfast Burrito
- Food Faith Fitness – Grilled Red Potato Salad with Sausage and Ranch
- From Captain’s Daughter to Army Mom – Oma’s Authentic German Potato Salad
- Hip Foodie Mom – Summer Potato and Tomato Tart
- Macaroni and Cheesecake – Cheesy Ranch Loaded Potato Casserole
- The Country Cook – Grilled Red Potatoes and Green Beans
The giveaway prize pack is valued at more than $500 and will consist of the following:
- One 3-pound bag of red potatoes from Black Gold Farms
- Three packages of fresh potato “roasties”, one of each flavor (These are so delicious, a product pack that Black Gold Farms has developed with McCormick!)
- One $500 gift card to Omaha Steaks
So, enter the giveaway and here’s to summer!!
JOIN OUR TWITTER PARTY!!
AND, don’t miss the Twitter party on Wednesday, June 4th; at 8:00pm CST! Black Gold Farms will be giving away some more fabulous prizes including:
- Fresh potato swag from Black Gold Farms and Better with Reds
- One $100 Sur la table gift card
- One $50 Amazon gift card
Just follow @BetterWithReds and @farmgirlsdabble on Twitter. We’ll be using the hashtags #BetterWithReds and #SummerFood! AND don’t forget to follow Black Gold Farms and Better With Reds on social media: Website, Facebook, Twitter and Pinterest!
Disclosure: I was invited to join this #BetterWithReds campaign and received red potatoes to use for recipe development. All opinions stated here are 100% my own.