Kimchi Ramen Grilled Cheese Sandwich!!! Combining two of my favorite things, this grilled cheese sandwich marries ramen, kimchi and cheddar cheese! If you’re a fan of Shin Ramen, you need to try this!
As a food blogger, I read a lot of food related websites, cookbooks, magazines, other food blogs and basically, anything I can get my hands on. I like to read about food trends, new chefs, what people are doing and fun and inventive things people are doing with food. And every once in a while, I will come across something that makes me stop.
Makes my jaw drop.
And I say to myself. . I have to try that.
I first saw this awesomeness on Bon Appetit and then Tastespotting (where the recipe actually originated). Kimchi Ramen in a grilled cheese sandwich. Come on. How awesome is this? I know some may look at this in disgust. Some may think this is totally brilliant and others are just confused and are asking why? But how many of us secretly love ramen noodles?!!! I mean, yeah sure it’s not the greatest for you but damn, it’s so good.
I have to admit I probably haven’t had a bowl of instant ramen in like 8 years. Maybe even longer. Seriously. I’d rather eat the good stuff. And if I ever have the craving, I will usually eat something else. . and kimchi with white rice usually satisfies any craving I have.
So, what made me finally try this bad boy?
It’s National Grilled Cheese month.
And I had a few ramen packs in the pantry and some awesome cheddar cheese. . so I went for it. It was so good. Initially you don’t completely realize what you are eating and then you look down at your plate and slurp up some noodles . . and keep eating some more. I usually always save half of what I make for my husband to try (since I mostly cook during the day so I can photograph in natural light) but this time, I devoured this entire thing.
And made another one. For The Hubs.
So, don’t wait any longer. If you like kimchi + ramen + grilled cheese, you have to try this. I especially loved the heat from this grilled cheese because my ramen was extra spicy and I loved having kimchi in there too. Kimchi in a sandwich. I’m totally doing this.
This grilled cheese might be something everyone has to try at least once. Enjoy!
Kimchi Ramen Grilled Cheese Sandwich
- 1 package of ramen I highly recommend Spicy Shin Ramen
- 1 ramen seasoning packet
- 1 cup kimchi chopped and squeezed of excess kimchi juice
- 1 tablespoon butter + more for spreading on the bread slices
- 4 slices bread any kind (I used whole grain wheat bread)
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese; split
- Bring a small pot of water to a boil over high heat. Drop the ramen noodles in and cook until the ramen noodles are soft, about 4-5 minutes only. You don't want to overcook the noodles.
- Drain the ramen noodles and add the seasoning packet over the noodles. Toss to combine and set aside.
- Butter one slice of bread on both sides and set aside. Using a cast iron skillet or non-stick skillet, heat one tablespoon of butter in your skillet over medium heat. Let the butter melt completely and then lay your slice of buttered bread into the skillet and top with a 1/2 cup of the shredded cheddar cheese. Cover the skillet with a lid and let the cheese melt until it's almost entirely melted, for about 2-3 minutes.
- Next, lift the lid and top the melted cheese with half of the ramen noodles and about a 1/2 cup of the squeezed kimchi (or less depending on the size of your bread) and cover again with the lid for a minute. Butter both sides of the second slice of bread and place the bread slice on top of the kimchi, pressing down gently and flip your sandwich very carefully. You do not need to cover the pan again since your cheese is already melting nicely. You can flip one more time if desired (but not necessary) until you have nice, golden brown toasty bread on both sides.
- Repeat everything for your second grilled cheese sandwich. Enjoy!