Women are like a good bottle of wine. We get better with age.
It took me like a decade or two to finally feel completely comfortable in my skin. To be happy with myself on the inside and out. To feel confident. It’s so cliché but we really do learn from the experiences in our lives. We learn, we grow, we become better people.
Today’s Sunday Supper is an extra special one because we are celebrating Hearty Burgundy’s 50th birthday! Gallo’s original Red Blend, their Hearty Burgundy combines mouth-watering richness with flavors ranging from dark berry to red plum. Since 1964 it’s been one of their family’s favorites. And let me tell you, this wine is seriously delicious. And the Hearty Burgundy is only available in 1.5L – perfect for a dinner party or large family gatherings!
I hope I’m this gorgeous at 50.
And what better recipe to share with you today than my Slow Cooker Bolognese Sauce with Pappardelle Pasta.
With this severely cold winter and chilling winds that the Midwest is experiencing this year just about the only things getting me through are Netflix, running, good food and a glass of wine.
I’ve never felt cold weather like this before and some days, when I can, I just stay inside because it’s too darn cold to leave the house. On a day that was filled with running countless errands (grocery store, post office, etc.) and taking my daughter to ballet, I came home to the deliciously wonderful smell of this homemade Bolognese sauce.
Let me tell you, after being out and about in the cold all day, this was heaven on earth. The smell was just intoxicating.
There’s something about a slow cooked homemade Bolognese sauce. The slow cooking process really allows the flavors to develop, meld together and creates an incredible pairing for pasta and crusty bread. If you’ve never made a slow cooked Bolognese sauce, you need to try this. This is perfect for a dinner party because it makes enough for 6-8 people and, the best part, the slow cooker does all the work for you! My secret ingredient for this Bolognese sauce was adding anchovy paste.
Might sound weird, but it adds a wonderful flavor and you can use less salt. Don’t knock it ’til you’ve tried it. And if you don’t own a slow cooker, what are you waiting for? You need to get one!
So, here’s to Hearty Burgundy and many more years to come!
Slow Cooker Bolognese Sauce with Pappardelle for a Gallo #SundaySupper
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 1 large carrot finely chopped
- 2-3 celery stalks finely chopped
- 1 medium sized yellow onion finely chopped
- a pinch of Kosher salt and fresh cracked black pepper
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1/2 teaspoon anchovy paste
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 heaping cup Hearty Burgundy from Gallo you could even do 3/4 cup
- 2/3 cup heavy cream
- Two 28-ounce cans crushed tomatoes
- 1/2 teaspoon red chili pepper flakes
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 1 pound Spicy Italian sausage; casings removed and chopped
- Cooked Pappardelle Pasta for serving
- Freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- Parsley for garnish
- Heat the oil in a large sauté pan over medium-high heat. Add the garlic, carrots, celery and onions. Sprinkle with salt and pepper and cook about 3 minutes. Add the tomato paste, anchovy paste, thyme and nutmeg, and continue cooking until the vegetables have softened and started to brown, for about 2 minutes. Deglaze with the Gallo Hearty Burgundy wine, pulling up any browned bits from the bottom of the pan. Season with just a touch more salt and pepper if needed.
- Carefully pour into the slow cooker. Stir in the heavy cream, tomatoes and red chili pepper flakes. Using your hands, crumble in the uncooked ground beef and Italian sausage pieces and stir the meat well so as to incorporate into the sauce. Make sure there are no large clumps of meat in the sauce. Cover and cook on high for 4 to 6 hours or on low for 8 to 10 hours. Skim the accumulated grease from the surface before serving.
- Serve over pasta and garnish with freshly grated parmesan cheese and some parsley and enjoy with a glass of the Hearty Burgundy.
Recipe adapted from the Cooking Channel.
Today is all about celebrating Gallo’s Hearty Burgundy! With its well-balanced fruit and subtle hints of oak, Gallo’s medium-bodied, dry Hearty Burgundy pairs well with the bold and layered flavors of chili, Italian meat sauce, and grilled sausages. That’s why I made the fabulous dish above. . and it was perfection.
So you must take a look at each fabulous recipe below and if you’re interested in grabbing a nice bottle of Gallo Family Vineyards wine, click here for their store locator. I’ve already stocked up on their Cabernet Sauvignon and will soon need another bottle of Hearty Burgundy!
- Fruity Burgundy Sangria by Shockingly Delicious
- Beef Burgundy in Puff Pastry by Webicurean
- Beef Burgundy Pasta by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Burgundy Mushroom Sauce over Beef by The Dinner-Mom
- Classic Coq au Vin by Foxes Love Lemons
- Cornish Beef Pasty with Burgundy Gravy by Neighborfood
- Hearty Burgundy and Chocolate Chili by Peanut Butter and Peppers
- Hearty Burgundy Beef Stew by Yours And Mine Are Ours
- Majestic Burgundy Mushrooms & Cookie Cups with Burgundy Cream by NinjaBaking.com
- Mushroom Bolognese Kale Lasagna by Alida’s Kitchen
- Oeufs en Meurette by Curious Cuisiniere
- Pollo Alla Cacciatorra (Hunter-Style Chicken) by The Foodie Army Wife
- Red Wine Braised Short Ribs with Polenta by The Girl In The Little Red Kitchen
- Roasted Salmon with Burgundy-Balsamic Glaze by girlichef
- Sausage & Mushroom Ragu by The Messy Baker
- Sausages in Burgundy Sauce with Mushrooms by Soni’s Food
- Slow Cooker Bolognese Sauce with Pappardelle by Hip Foodie Mom
- Slow Cooker Hearty Burgundy Wine Pork Roast by Family Foodie
- Berry Burgundy Sorbet by Magnolia Days
- Red Wine Cherry Chocolate Bars by The Not So Cheesy Kitchen
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on Twitter today! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm EST. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. Check out our #SundaySupper Pinterest board for more fabulous recipes and food photos.
Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy! You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement.
Disclosure: Compensation was provided by Gallo Family Vineyards via Sunday Supper, LLC. The opinions expressed herein are those of the author, and are not indicative of the opinions or positions of Gallo Family Vineyards.