I whipped this up for my husband one night because we always have tomatoes, mozzarella and basil on hand at home. . and who would have known I was going to receive so many comments and likes on Facebook for this one? So, I am posting this very simple recipe and hope you will enjoy! This time, I used the same balsamic glaze I made from this recipe for my caprese salad. It was divine! You get a little garlic and sweet & sour with the balsamic and the basil, cheese and tomato all in one bite! It’s heaven. For reals. 😛
This salad is my absolute favorite!!!
Hip Foodie Mom’s Caprese Salad
Simple Caprese Salad
- 2 whole Ripe Tomatoes sliced semi-thick
- fresh Mozzarella Cheese sliced semi-thick
- Fresh Basil Leaves
- Olive Oil For Drizzling
- Kosher Salt And Freshly Ground Black Pepper
- if not trying the glaze you just need balsamic vinegar
- For the Balsamic Glaze:
- 3/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 clove garlic peeled and smashed or chopped
- For the glaze: In a small saucepan, bring the vinegar, maple syrup, mustard and garlic to a boil over medium heat. Reduce the heat to a simmer and cook until thick, about 10-12 minutes. Set aside to cool for 5 minutes.
- While the glaze is cooling, prep your tomatoes, basil and mozzarella
- Drizzle a little olive oil on the plate
- Place the tomatoes on the plate and season them with salt & pepper
- Layer on the mozzarella and then a single basil leaf or you can tear the basil with your hands (do not cut the basil with a knife; it will turn black)
- Drizzle balsamic glaze on top (or just some balsamic vinegar if you are not making the glaze & you might want to add a little more salt & pepper to taste; with the glaze, you don't need it!)
Oh WOW! That looks absolutely delicious!
Why, thank you!!! Hope you give it a try!