Walnut Spinach Pesto!! So delicious, versatile and and because of the walnuts, the pesto is packed with nutrition! There are so many ways to enjoy this pesto: on a baked potato, a pesto egg, with some raw veggies, pesto pasta and so much more!
Disclosure: This post is sponsored by CA Walnuts.
During the school and work week, our schedules get pretty busy. One of the ways I can stay sane and motivated in the kitchen is with meal prep. One of my favorite things to make is a walnut spinach pesto. It’s super versatile and so delicious and because of the walnuts, the pesto is packed with nutrition! I highly recommend toasting the walnuts lightly beforehand if you can. Once I make the pesto, I love eating it on toast, in lettuce wraps or collard green wraps, of course you can eat it with pasta but it’s also fabulous with crackers and raw veggies for a light lunch or quick snack and a pesto baked potato!
Walnut Spinach Pesto
I love this pesto because it uses an assortment of greens: fresh baby spinach, arugula and basil. Honestly, you can even skip the basil and you wouldn’t even notice. I love using walnuts as well! Walnuts are the only nut significantly high in omega-3 ALA. Omega-3s are essential fatty acids critical to various body processes. Learn more about the nutritional benefits in one ounce of walnuts.
Pro Tip: for optimal storage and fresh taste, keep California walnuts in the fridge or freezer instead of the pantry.
Walnut Spinach Pesto
- 2 cups fresh arugula*
- 1 cup fresh baby spinach and/or fresh basil
- 2 to 3 cloves garlic
- 1/2 cup CA Walnuts lightly toasted
- 1/2 cup good quality olive oil extra virgin + more if needed
- 1/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese**
- kosher salt and pepper if desired, to taste
- Combine the arugula, spinach, basil (if using), garlic and walnuts in a food processor and process until very finely minced. With the food processor running, slowly pour in the olive oil and process until the mixture is smooth. Add the cheese and process again. Season with salt and pepper if desired, taste and adjust anything as needed.