Spicy Salmon Lettuce Wraps!! My current favorite way to enjoy salmon. Use romaine, Bibb, red leaf or any lettuce of your choice!
After having my fair share of rice last week, I’m moving towards salads and more greens this week. I’m loving wraps, lettuce boats, bell pepper sandwiches and more. Who says food can’t still be delicious without bread, pasta or rice?
Salmon: Do You Buy Wild Caught or Farm Raised?
I first learned about sustainable fishing during my time in Sitka, Alaska with Sitka Salmon Shares. You can read more about my trip here and here.
WHAT IS SUSTAINABLE, WILD SEAFOOD?
It’s seafood responsibly managed to exist long-term without compromising the survival of the species or the health of the surrounding ecosystem. Sustainable seafood is the most environmentally efficient source of protein on the planet!
What do most people look for when buying salmon? Not size or fat content. Most look for color. Since the fish is known for its distinctive pink hue (a hue often referred to as “salmon”), darker salmon sells better. But for farm-raised salmon, which makes up 70 percent of the market, color has nothing to do with quality. Farm-raised salmon is naturally gray; the pink color is added.
Wild salmon is naturally pink due to their diet which includes astaxanthin, a reddish-orange compound found in krill and shrimp. Farm-raised salmon, however, eat whatever farmers throw into their pen. Read more here from foodandwine.com
I am only sharing this information so you can be informed. I never knew the difference between the two until about 5 years ago. If this is of interest to you: here’s my advice: When it comes to food, do your own research. Read up on things and educate yourself. It’s good to know where your food comes from and how it’s grown or raised etc.
Spicy Salmon Lettuce Wraps
No matter what type of salmon you are buying, salmon is delicious and one of my favorite things to make on a weeknight because it takes no time at all to make. Whether you make a salad or lettuce wraps, we hope you try this recipe!
Spicy Salmon Lettuce Wraps
- 2 skin-on salmon fillets
- good quality olive oil extra-virgin
- salt and pepper
- 1 teaspoon lemon pepper seasoning
- 2 teaspoons smoked paprika
- Bibb or romaine lettuce
- avocado slices
- gim (dried roasted seaweed) shredded or cut
- 2 tablespoons gochujang
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 1/2 teaspoon brown rice vinegar
- Preheat your oven to 425 degrees. Place your salmon fillets, skin side down, on a parchment paper lined baking sheet. Lightly drizzle olive oil, season with salt and pepper and lemon pepper seasoning and smoked paprika. Bake in the oven for about 10 minutes*. (but you can check your salmon after 8 minutes)
- Remove from the oven and make lettuce wraps. To assemble: place cooked salmon and avocado into lettuce. Season with shredded gim and furikake (if desired) and drizzle on the gochujang mixture (the gochujang, honey, sesame oil and vinegar whisked together). Enjoy!
Leave a Reply