Chicken Veggie Taquitos + A Giveaway! BBQ baked shredded chicken and sauteed vegetables, rolled up into crispy, delicious BAKED taquitos! Great for packing into school lunches!
I can’t believe my kids go back to school today. How is it all of a sudden September 5th?! The summer flew by with lightning speed and now we’re suddenly here. . the first day of school.
I’m horrible about instilling a bedtime over the summer so my kids got into the habit of staying up late and waking up late. Really late. They are going to pay for it today but soon they will fall back into their normal sleeping schedule. Other than the bedtime thing, we’re all ready for school today.
My kids need to get back on a regular schedule and so do I. What was going to be a relaxing kick back summer ended up being pretty full and busy. It was great, believe me, but I didn’t even begin to tackle my personal list of to-do’s. Mostly organization.
I suck at organization. Like in my closet, my bedroom, with my things etc.
As a food blogger, I get packages mailed to me everyday. Sometimes, multiple boxes. . filled with things. These things just start to accumulate.
So, now my organization deadline has moved to January 7th. I’m just being realistic. Now my kids are back in school, I need to focus more on them, work and gearing up for fall.
This morning, I packed the most epic lunch for my kids. I don’t pack lunch everyday because my kids enjoy the independence they feel with buying hot lunch at school; especially my oldest. I decide what they eat for breakfast and dinner so I can give her one meal, right?
So, there is a mix of buying and bringing lunch. . and when we do, these are the lunch containers we use and love: LunchBots!
These lunch containers are stainless steel and dishwasher safe. You can easily put together your own healthy bistro box with the different compartments. This ultimate all-stainless lunch container has room for your kid’s protein, carb, vegetable, side, and dessert or sweet treat! They also have leak proof Dips Condiment Containers (sold separately).
I reached out to the good people at LunchBots and asked if I could host a giveaway, and here we are today!
Open to residents within the United States only.
Enter over on my Instagram page! Good luck! Giveaway will close on Wednesday, 9/13 at 12 midnight EST. Giveaway open to US residents only. For an EXTRA entry, leave a comment below!!!
Chicken Veggie Taquitos
These Chicken Veggie Taquitos have become a favorite in my house. These are easy to make and super versatile! Make these completely vegetarian, or switch out the protein.
My kids don’t mind eating these soft so I actually pack these into their lunch and they love them! You can also make these a day ahead and just warm them up in the morning. If your kids want them crispy, make these at home and serve immediately. I hope you give this recipe a try!
- 1 lb. boneless, skinless chicken thigh meat (or chicken breast)
- ½ cup barbecue sauce + more if needed
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 small onion, diced
- 2 cups cremini mushrooms, diced
- 1 to 2 cups kale, chopped
- 1 cup red and green bell peppers, diced
- 1 tablespoon chili powder*
- ½ teaspoon cumin*
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 10-12 regular sized flour or whole wheat tortillas
- Vegetable oil for brushing on the taquitos
- Serve with fresh salsa and sour cream (if desired)
- Preheat your oven to 375 degrees. Place chicken into a shallow baking dish and top with the barbecue sauce. Spread evenly over the chicken. Cover the dish with foil.
- Bake for 1 hour. Remove from oven and shred chicken with two forks. Set aside.
- While the chicken is baking in the oven, using a large non-stick skillet, heat the olive oil over medium high heat. After a minute or two, add the onions, mushrooms, kale and bell peppers and continue to cook for another 3 to 4 minutes.
- Add the chili powder and the cumin and season with salt and pepper and mix together well. Continue to cook the vegetables for another 2 to 3 minutes. Remove from the heat and set aside.
- Assemble your taquitos: cover your tortillas with a damp paper towel and microwave for 30 seconds. Working on a flat, clean surface or cutting board, lay down a tortilla and spoon on a heaping ¼ cup of the vegetable mixture evenly on the lower half of the tortilla. Top with some shredded chicken (and add shredded cheese if you are adding cheese) and roll the tortilla, starting from the bottom going up, closed.
- Brush each taquito with vegetable oil and lay down (tortilla flap side down) on a lined baking sheet. Continue with the remaining taquitos.
- Bake for 20 to 25 minutes or until crispy on the outside. Serve with fresh salsa and sour cream. Enjoy!
Disclosure: LunchBots is sponsoring this giveaway. All opinions are 100% my own.