Black Bean Quinoa Burgers with sweet potato fries from Sun Basket! It’s not easy to make an awesome vegetarian burger, but the Sun Basket kitchen team nailed it with this one! Read below to learn more about Sun Basket, get this fabulous recipe and to get $30 off your first purchase!
Happy Tuesday! and happy Valentine’s Day!
It’s only Tuesday and this week has already been jam packed and busy. Yesterday, I shot some more segments with Channel 15 for their Mom’s Everyday TV show so I can’t wait to see them! Last night I spent most of the night making rice crispy treats for my kids’ Valentine’s Day class parties and got caught up on The Bachelor. My guilty pleasure and I really do hope Nick finds love one day! Is anyone else watching?
I talk to my friends and other moms about meal planning all the time. They often feel like they run out of ideas on what to make for dinner. Cookbooks, cooking shows, food blogs, meal kit services, there are so many resources for us now!
I recently tried a healthy meal kit service called Sun Basket. Sun Basket is a healthy meal kit service that delivers quality, sustainably sourced organic ingredients and delicious, recipes for cooking at home. You literally get all of the ingredients you need for each recipe, already portioned and measured our for you! Sun Basket makes it easy to cook healthy, with Paleo, Gluten-Free, Vegetarian, Breakfast, and NEW Family options. You can choose from delicious recipes each week, delivered right to your door in 100% recyclable and compostable packaging.
We tried their meatloaf and these delicious Black Bean Quinoa Burgers and they were amazing! We loved both recipes!
Get $30 off your first purchase!
For those who work full-time and don’t have time to go to the grocery store, Sun Basket is for you! Click here to get $30 off your first purchase.
Sun Basket Meal Plans
- Classic Plan: Our signature menu, featuring healthy spins on restaurant-worthy dishes, with a mix of global flavors and comforting classics
• Choose 3 recipes per week for 2 or 4 people
• $11.49 per serving, $5.99 shipping fee per order (first week delivery is always free)
• Paleo, Gluten-Free, Vegetarian, Chef’s Choice, and Breakfast options
2. Family Plan: Our most delicious menu for taste buds big and small, with lots of vegetables cleverly tucked into kid-friendly recipes the whole family will enjoy. Family plan recipes are quick and easy to prepare and clean up.
• Choose 2 or 4 recipes each week for 4 people (2 adults and 2 kids) • $9.99 per serving, $5.99 shipping fee per order (first week delivery is always free)
• Co-created by Chef Tyler Florence of the Food Network
• Gluten-Free, Vegetarian, and Chef’s Choice options
For more information, visit www.sunbasket.com.
Black Bean Quinoa Burgers
- ½ cup rainbow quinoa
- Burger spice blend granulated garlic - cumin - coriander
- 1 pound peeled sweet potato wedges
- ½ teaspoon sweet smoked paprika optional
- 1½ cups cooked black beans
- 1 or 2 carrots
- 2 scallions
- 2 pasture-raised organic eggs
- ½ cup whole wheat panko bread crumbs
- 4 slices cheddar cheese
- 1 head butter lettuce
- 5 ounces roasted red peppers
- 4 whole wheat buns
- Sun Basket creamy Parmesan sauce mayonnaise - Parmesan - Dijon mustard - salt - black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 425ºF.
- Cook the quinoa: In a fine-mesh strainer, rinse the quinoa.
- In a small sauce pot, combine the quinoa, burger spice blend, and 1 cup lightly salted water and bring to a boil. Reduce to a simmer, cover, and cook until the quinoa is tender and the water is absorbed, 15 to 20 minutes. Fluff the quinoa with a fork. While the quinoa cooks, prepare the sweet potatoes.
- Roast the sweet potatoes: On a sheet pan, toss the sweet potato wedges with 1 tablespoon oil and the paprika, if using, and season generously with salt and pepper. Spread in an even layer and roast, stirring once halfway through, until tender and lightly browned, 20 to 25 minutes. While the sweet potatoes roast, make the burgers.
- Prep the burgers: Rinse the black beans.
- Scrub or peel the carrots and trim off the ends; grate or finely chop the carrots.
- Trim the root ends from the scallions; finely chop the scallions.
- In a large bowl, using a fork or the bottom of a heavy cup, smash 1 cup black beans into a paste. Add the carrots, eggs, quinoa, scallions, panko, and remaining whole beans. Season generously with salt and pepper, and stir to combine. Using wet hands, form the mixture into four 1-inch-thick patties.
- Cook the burgers: In a large frying pan over medium heat, warm 2 tablespoons oil until hot but not smoking. In batches if needed, add the patties and cook until a dark golden-brown crust forms, 4 to 6 minutes per side; after flipping the burgers, top each with a cheddar cheese slice. While the burgers cook, prepare the garnishes and buns.
- Prep the garnishes; toast the buns. Trim the root end from the lettuce; tear the leaves into burger-size pieces. Scrape off any seeds from the roasted peppers; thinly slice the peppers.
- Toast the whole wheat buns in the oven until lightly crisped, 2 to 5 minutes.
- Serve: Transfer the buns, cut sides up, to individual plates. Spread each bottom bun with 1 tablespoon creamy Parmesan sauce, then top with a burger, lettuce, and roasted peppers; close the buns. Serve the sweet potato fries, remaining sauce, and ketchup and mustard, if desired, on the side.
Recipe from Sun Basket
Disclosure: I received two free meals from Sun Basket. All opinions expressed here are 100% my own.