Avocado Waffles! This is my spin on avocado toast but with a 8 Whole Grain Multigrain waffle! Topped with mashed avocado, sautéed onions, kale, mushrooms and roasted butternut squash, this is one breakfast that is packed with goodness!
I don’t know what it is about the start of a new year, but I always head into January with excitement and energy. This month, I’ve had amazing energy and I know it’s because I’m making healthier choices with my meals and snacks, my 30-day green smoothie challenge and regular exercise.
With a little bit of planning, buying the right items from the grocery store and preparation, I think eating healthier is totally doable. We just have to make smarter choices at the store, if eating healthier is what we want to do. It’s like do you buy that bag of roasted almonds instead of the bag of potato chips?
The mornings are always crazy for us when my oldest has to leave and catch the bus for school. She has to be at the bus stop super early, like 6:55am. I wish I was joking. So, needless to say, I have to be prepared and ready to go with breakfast. And we need something quick.
We recently tried Van’s Waffles. They have Gluten Free Blueberry and 8 Whole Grain Multigrain and lots more but these are the ones we have tried and love. Can you guess who likes the 8 Whole Grain Multigrain waffles?!!
Van’s waffles are a wholesome, delicious and quick breakfast option. Van’s waffles are Non-GMO project verified, and contain no artificial flavors, colors, preservatives, or hydrogenated oils.
8 Whole Grain Multigrain are a tasty combination of hearty whole wheat, oats, barley, brown rice, rye, quinoa, amaranth and millet, lightly sweetened with a touch of honey. Doesn’t that sound delicious?! I love these waffles! Inspired by my fancy avocado toast, I had to make this.
Since I’m making smoothies everyday, my fridge is packed with kale and I can’t seem to get enough avocado these days. And the egg? Well, that’s a no brainer. They are packed with protein!
I hope you give this recipe a try. I have enjoyed these Avocado Waffles for breakfast and lunch!
Van’s waffles are available at grocery stores, mass merchandisers and natural food retailers nationwide. To find Van’s waffles in a store near you, click here for their store locator.
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- ½ small onion, finely diced
- 1 to 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 cups of kale, chopped
- 2 cups roasted butternut squash, cubed*
- 8 ounces cremini mushrooms, sliced
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 ripe avocados
- 1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lime juice
- 4 to 8 Whole Grain Multigrain Van’s waffles, toasted
- butter, optional
- 4 eggs, fried
- Using a large non-stick skillet, heat the olive oil over medium-high heat. Add the onions and garlic and sauté until the onions begin to soften, for about 3 to 4 minutes. Add in the kale, butternut squash, and mushrooms and cook for about 5 to 7 minutes, or until tender. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Using a small bowl, mash the avocados with a fork, add in the lime juice and season with salt. Mix together, taste and adjust the lime and salt as needed.
- To assemble: Spread some light butter onto the toasted waffles and top one with the avocado mixture. Spread evenly over the waffle. Top with the kale and mushroom mixture and top with a fried egg. (If desired, you can top with another waffle and make a sandwich!) Season with more salt and pepper if you'd like and enjoy immediately.
Disclosure: This is a sponsored post written by me on behalf of Van’s Foods. All opinions are entirely my own.