Welcome to Day 2 of Brunch Week!! Now that it’s May 6th, we can focus on all things BRUNCH!!! Mother’s Day is Sunday. . do you know what you’re making?!
I personally can’t even think of brunch without waffles. Because come on. Look at these babies.
Those grooves in the waffles? They were made to hold maple syrup, yo. And lots of it.
These waffles are a revelation. Truly. Chocolatey, hearty and delicious . . and a little bit of healthy. Whole wheat flour, golden flaxseed meal and organic fat-free yogurt. I love homemade waffles because no two look exactly the same. I was trying to make mini waffles. . but who am I kidding? Once I had one, we just went for it.
I got a little stack happy.
The key to these waffles are the chocolate chips. And I didn’t use just any ole brand. I used Pacari Premium Organic Chocolate. You guys, this chocolate is the bomb. So good! You can taste the quality in this chocolate. I also used Stonyfield Organic fat free plain yogurt, Dixie Crystals sugar, pure almond extract from Nielsen-Massey and walnuts from California Walnuts! Thank you, sponsors!!!
You guys need to try these waffles . . either for Mother’s Day or your next brunch at home. The texture on these waffles is perfection and I love the balance of whole wheat, regular flour and the flaxseed meal. I also love the hint of almond from the almond milk and almond extract. Amazing!! I hope you try these waffles!
Chocolate Chip Flaxseed Waffles
- 1/2 cup all purpose flour
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup organic golden flaxseed meal
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 3 large eggs beaten
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter melted
- 3/4 cup plain fat-free yogurt
- 1/3 cup almond milk
- 1/2 teaspoon pure almond extract
- 1/2 cup semi-sweet or bittersweet chocolate chips
- maple syrup
- 1/4 cup walnuts
- non-stick spray for your waffle baker
- Preheat your waffle baker according to manufacturer's instructions. Using a medium sized mixing bowl, whisk together the flours, flaxseed meal, baking soda, baking powder, salt and sugar. Using a smaller separate mixing bowl, beat together the eggs and melted butter, then add the yogurt, almond milk and pure almond extract. Mix together until well blended. Add the chocolate chips and mix again one more time. Do not over mix.
- Add the wet ingredients into the dry flour mixture and stir until combined. Let the batter rest for about 5 minutes.
- When your waffle baker is ready, spray with non-stick spray and, using a ladle, or something with a spout, pour in your waffle batter, start with just a 1/3 cup (depending on what size your waffle baker is). Close the waffle baker and flip (if you have a waffle baker that has two sides) and repeat. Press the timer and cook for about 2 to 2.5 minutes, or until the waffles are golden on both sides and cooked through.
- Serve warm with maple syrup and top with the walnuts! Enjoy!
Recipe adapted from Alton Brown.
Welcome to the third annual #BrunchWeek hosted by Terri from Love and Confections and Shaina from Take A Bite Out Of Boca. We are so excited to have you join us this year! Celebrate Brunch with us this week as we prepare for Mother’s Day. 30 Bloggers from around the country will showcase their best brunch dishes, from cocktails to casseroles, breakfast breads, sandwiches and salads – there is something for everyone! Our amazing Sponsors have donated some great prizes for the #BrunchWeek giveaway. Thank you so much, Sponsors, for your generosity. We have an incredible giveaway below and we’d love if you would take a moment to read about them all and what you can possibly win!
Come see what today’s #BrunchWeek Bloggers are creating!
BrunchWeek Breads, Grains and Pastries:
60 Minute Cinnamon Rolls from Love and Confections.
Chocolate and Walnut Challah from The Little Ferraro Kitchen.
Braided Ham and Cheddar Bread from Sarcastic Cooking.
Pear Oatmeal Crème Brûlée from The Spiffy Cookie.
Tattie Scones with Cheddar and Chives from The Redhead Baker.
Chocolate Chip Flaxseed Waffles from Hip Foodie Mom.
Chile Relleno Quiche from Cooking in Stilettos.
Double Chocolate Sweet Rolls from It Bakes Me Happy.
Sour Cream Streusel Coffee Cake from That Skinny Chick Can Bake.
Peanut Butter & Jelly Granola from Baking a Moment.
BrunchWeek Main Dishes:
Harissa Chorizo Hash from greens & chocolate.
Smoked Salmon Canapes with Whipped Chive Cream Cheese from The Suburban Soapbox.
BrunchWeek Fruits, Vegetables and Sides:
Kinpura Gobo from Culinary Adventures with Camilla.
Tropical Fruit Salad with Vanilla and Lime from Healthy Delicious.
Beet and Heirloom Carrot Rosti with Creme Fraiche and Caviar from Jane’s Adventures in Dinner.
Carrot Salad from My Catholic Kitchen.
Brunch Week GIVEAWAY!!
Disclaimer: The #BrunchWeek giveaway is open to U.S. residents, age 18 & up only. All entries for the winner will be checked and verified. By entering you give the right to use your name and likeness. The number of entries received determines the odds of winning. Twelve winners will be selected. The prize packages will be sent directly from the giveaway sponsors. The #BrunchWeek Bloggers are not responsible for the fulfillment or delivery of the prize packages. Bloggers hosting this giveaway and their immediate family members in their household cannot enter or win the giveaway. No purchase necessary. Void where prohibited by law.
Disclaimer: Thank you to #BrunchWeek Sponsors: Bob’s Red Mill, Cabot Creamery Cooperative, California Walnuts, Dixie Crystals, Grimmway Farms/Cal-Organic/True Juice, KitchenAid, Le Creuset, Nielsen-Massey Vanillas, Pacari Chocolate, Stonyfield Organic, Vidalia Onions, and Woot Froot for providing the prizes free of charge. These companies also provided the bloggers with samples and product to use for #BrunchWeek. All opinions are my own.