Coconut Almond Flaxseed Muffins!! Packed with omega-3’s, fiber and ingredients you can feel food about, these Coconut Almond Flaxseed Muffins are the perfect breakfast or on-the-go snack!
My name is Alice and I’m a muffin top eater. Yes, I admit it. I used to just eat the top of the muffins and then give the rest to my husband to finish. I can’t help myself. . for crumb top muffins, all the good stuff is on top. Come on, you’ve done it before too. I know I’m not alone here. And why do people love eating muffins tops but not having one? Wait, don’t answer that. We all know the answer to that question.
And that brings me to why we are here today.
Healthy muffins you guys. Coconut Almond Flaxseed muffins to be exact.
The beauty of a muffin is that you can fill these gems with ingredients that are good for you and everything is packaged and baked in a perfect sized muffin. A portable meal or snack. I love it.
I packed these babies with whole wheat flour, flaxseed meal, raw flaxseeds, old fashioned oats, applesauce, shredded coconut, plain yogurt, dried cranberries and almonds.
The star ingredients being the flaxseed meal and the raw, whole flaxseeds. Why you might ask? Because I don’t think enough of us know about the amazing health benefits of flaxseeds. We’re talking omega-3 essential fatty acids, lignans and fiber. And don’t let the tiny, unimposing size of the flaxseed fool you.
Packed inside every teeny, tiny seed is a mountain of nutritional benefit. Most of us don’t consume nearly enough omega-3’s, and eating flaxseeds is an easy and tasty way to get these essential fats into your diet!
Are you trying to eat healthier this year? Or simply looking for a great, new muffin recipe? Well, this is it my friends. These muffins are not overly sweet and packed with everything good. And this recipe is super simple and all you need is one mixing bowl and you’re set. Because I don’t know about you, but the last thing I want to be doing while my muffins are in the oven baking is washing a bunch of dishes. One bowl, no stand mixer required.
And, when it came time to devour these muffins, I ate the entire thing. Bottom part and all.
Coconut Almond Flaxseed Muffins
- 1 1/2 cups Bob's Red Mill whole wheat pastry flour
- 1 cup Bob's Red Mill flaxseed meal
- 1 tablespoon Bob's Red Mill raw whole flaxseeds
- 1 heaping cup Bob's Red Mill old fashioned rolled oats
- 1/4 cup sweetened shredded coconut
- 3/4 cup light brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 cup applesauce
- 1 cup low-fat plain yogurt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup sliced almonds + more for sprinkling on top
- 1/4 cup dried cranberries
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees and spray a muffin pan with non-stick baking spray or fill with paper muffin or cupcake baking cups. Set aside.
- Using a large sized mixing bowl, mix together the whole wheat pastry flour, flaxseed meal, flaxseeds, old fashioned rolled oats, shredded coconut, brown sugar, baking soda, baking powder, salt and cinnamon.
- Add in the eggs, applesauce, yogurt and vanilla and mix until just combined. Do not over mix. Add in the almonds and dried cranberries and mix one more time.
- Fill each muffin cup about 3/4 full. Sprinkle on almonds over each muffin and bake for 20 to 25 minutes, or until golden brown and a tester inserted comes out clean. Let the muffins cool in the muffin pan for at least 20 to 30 minutes before removing (if you did not use paper liners).
Disclosure: This is a sponsored post in partnership with Bob’s Red Mill. Thank you for supporting me in working with brands that I use and love. As always, all opinions expressed here are 100% my own.