Apple and Cheddar Quiche with Olive Oil and Thyme Crust. Savory and delicious and sure to be a winning dish at any brunch!
I can’t believe Thanksgiving is next week. My parents arrive on Monday and my sister’s family on Wednesday. We’ll have a packed house to say the least but I am so excited.
Because for me, a packed house means that I will have more than 3 people to feed. And for someone who cooks a lot and has a lot of leftovers, this is music to my ears. Over the past few weeks, I’ve been freezing some of the things I’ve been making so my parents and sister’s family can try and taste some of the dishes I’ve been making. Not exactly the same as eating it fresh, but hey, it still works.
My sister loves quiche so I made this Apple and Cheddar quiche for her. And I wanted to kick it up a notch, so I made an olive oil, thyme and cheddar pastry crust for the quiche. Yeah I know, I’m a pretty cool sister. And I made sure to throw in a good amount of cheddar cheese because Grace loves cheesy foods. Yes, she is my sister!
Well, I made this delicious quiche (can you see the apple chunks in there?!) and will have to make another one next week because I ate the entire thing. You guys, this quiche is so good. You get hints of sweetness from the apples with all the cheesy goodness and a lovely olive oil and thyme pastry crust. This quiche was heaven for me.
We’re in holiday season and in the midst of entertaining, having friends over and just being with family. So, if you don’t have a go-to quiche recipe that you use, you have to try this one. It’s great and is sure to be a crowd pleaser.
I hope you enjoy!
- 1¼ cups all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- ¼ cup good quality extra virgin olive oil
- ½ cup very cold water
- ½ teaspoon fresh thyme, leaves only
- 1 to 2 tablespoons freshly grated cheddar
- 5 large eggs
- ½ cup heavy cream
- 2 teaspoons fresh thyme, leaves only + more for sprinkling
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- pinch of ground nutmeg
- 1 cup freshly grated cheddar cheese
- ½ cup apples, peeled and chopped (like Gala, Honeycrisp or Red Delicious)
- Using your food processor, combine the flour, salt and olive oil and pulse for about 3 to 4 seconds. While the food processor is running, slowly pour the very cold water over the flour and keep running until the pastry begins to come together, after about 7 to 8 seconds. Do not overwork the dough.
- Next, add in the fresh thyme and freshly grated cheddar and pulse just a few times so that the thyme and cheddar become incorporated into the dough. (Alternatively, you can add the thyme and cheddar later and knead it in before you place into the refrigerator.)
- Transfer the olive oil pastry dough to a lightly floured work surface, knead just a few times, gather to form a ball and wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes before rolling it out.
- Preheat your oven to 400 degrees. Remove the dough from the refrigerator and roll out on a lightly floured work surface.Transfer dough to a pie plate, gently pressing the olive oil pastry into the pie plate. Prick the dough with a fork and bake it for about 12 to 15 minutes or until lightly browned.Remove from the oven and lower the oven temperature to 375 degrees.
- Combine the eggs, heavy cream, thyme, salt, and nutmeg and mix together well. Add in the cheddar cheese and the apples and mix again. Pour the filling into your olive oil pastry crust, sprinkle on a little fresh thyme and bake for 45 to 55 minutes, or until golden brown and a tester inserted comes out clean. Let stand for at least 10 minutes before slicing and serving.
This holiday season, Pompeian is helping families across the country immortalize their favorite holiday recipes by offering personalized bottles of Pompeian Extra Virgin Olive Oil – the first and only extra virgin olive oil to carry the USDA Quality Monitored Seal, complete with a customizable label and family photo – perfect for commemorating a treasured dish or gifting to a loved one this holiday season.
Consumers can visit Facebook or Pompeian.com to create their very own personalized bottle of Pompeian Extra Virgin Olive Oil by generating and printing a customized label to place on a 24 oz. bottle of Pompeian Extra Virgin Olive Oil. Now, how cool is that?!
Disclosure: This post is in partnership with Pompeian’s Blogger Ambassador Program and Pompeian Pantry Insiders. I was compensated for this post and as always, all opinions are 100% my own. Thank you for allowing me to work with brands that I love, use and support.