Orecchiette Pasta with Cremini Mushrooms and Kale. It simply goes to prove that food does not need to be complicated in order for it to be delicious.
This Orecchiette pasta with cremini mushrooms and kale recipe is extremely easy to whip up and you’ll have dinner on the table in about 30 minutes. On Monday, I shared my Red Quinoa, Roasted Butternut Squash and Kale salad and promised orecchiette pasta for all the non-quinoa lovers today. In my opinion, orecchiette pasta is simple, yet incredibly flavorful and delicious. For me, I like keeping the recipe pretty simple when it comes to Orecchiette pasta recipes like this so the real star can shine through. In this recipe, the stars are the kale and the mushrooms. And if you’ve never tried Orecchiette pasta, you simply must! I love this little ear shaped pasta… so beautiful and, when eaten with sauce, they are like little pockets of flavor and goodness with each bite.
Next time, I am definitely going to try this recipe with caramelized shallots instead of the onions! oh my.
Enjoy today everyone!
Orecchiette with Cremini Mushrooms and Kale
- 1/2 lb 8 oz. orecchiette pasta
- 2 tablespoons good quality extra virgin olive oil
- 1 large onion peeled and diced
- 2-3 cups cremini mushrooms chopped
- 4-5 cups 100% baby kale stems removed and roughly chopped if desired
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- freshly ground black pepper
- freshly grated Parmigiano-Reggiano
- fresh parsley finely chopped as garnish (optional)
- Bring salted water to a boil. Cook the pasta until al dente, for about 10 minutes. Drain the pasta, reserving about a 1/2 cup of the pasta water. Set aside.
- Meanwhile, heat the olive oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. After a minute or 2, add the onions and mushrooms and reduce the heat to medium. Cook, stirring often, for about 7-8 minutes.
- Add the kale, garlic and pasta into the saucepan and allow to cook for about 2-3 minutes. Mix to combine everything, pouring in some of the reserved pasta water (start with just a 1/4 cup) if you need to loosen up the pasta. Season with salt, pepper, red pepper flakes and add a little fresh parsley if desired. Serve immediately and add the freshly grated Parmigiano-Reggiano on top! Be generous with the Parmigiano-Reggiano.
As you may understand, freshly grated Parmigiano-Reggiano is simply a must with Orecchiette Pasta with Crimini Mushrooms and Kale, enjoy!