Red Quinoa Butternut Squash Kale Salad
Red Quinoa Butternut Squash Kale Salad! A delicious blend of fresh baby kale, roasted butternut squash, dried cranberries, walnuts and a red wine vinegar dressing. You have to try this!
All hail kale!
The first time I ever had kale was about 4 or 5 years ago. I was at work and we ordered lunch in from Veggie Grill. Their All Hail Kale salad changed my life. We’re talking marinated kale and red cabbage, corn salsa, agave-roasted walnuts and a ginger-papaya vinaigrette.
It was so good. I have been hooked on kale ever since. I’m so glad – what feels like the entire world- is embracing kale and loving it. OK, maybe minus my husband. We have a thing. A thing with kale. I love it and he does not. But I think he might slowly be turning a corner. I mean, I do put kale in everything possible when cooking: chili, kimchi jjigae, bibimbap, chapchae (basically all Korean food where I would use spinach), pasta. . and now, in salad. With my quinoa. Which my husband also likes. Not!
In the Fall, I love munching on salads with a lot of texture, crunch and my beloved roasted butternut squash.
This kale salad was inspired by this Summer Quinoa Salad. I loved the tang from the apple cider vinegar and the crunchy walnuts so I had to replicate that here. I left the kale raw. One of my favorite ways to eat kale.
But if raw is not your thing when it comes to kale, come back here on Wednesday for a simple, and fabulous Orecchiette Pasta with cooked kale. *yum* And now for the burning question. Where do you buy your kale? What kind do you get? What brand?
When it comes to kale, I would always purchase mine from Trader Joe’s. Their Tuscan Kale is washed, chopped and bagged but, if you ask me, it’s a little more bitter and thicker. Two things my husband and girls do not like. Especially when I am keeping the kale raw.
The first thing I noticed and tasted. . it didn’t look like the kale I was used to, it looked a lot like baby spinach. And it didn’t have that bitter taste. I was sold. Not that I needed much to sell me. I already love the stuff. And it’s organic!
So, just to make sure ONE of you get to try it, we’re giving away a Family size clamshell of the 100% Baby Kale, pictured above. ENTER. You’re going to love this stuff. And if you don’t win, look for the Organic Girl Baby Kale at Whole Foods or check for updates on Facebook or on their website.
I hope you enjoy. . and you simply must try this salad!
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup red quinoa
- 1 small to medium sized butternut squash, peeled and cubed
- olive oil
- salt and freshly ground pepper; to taste
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 2 cups baby kale, chopped and stems removed
- ¼ cup dried cranberries
- ¼ cup walnuts; crumbled
- about 1-2 tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped finely
- Preheat the oven to 425ºF.
- Cook the red quinoa according to package directions on stove top. Using a lined baking sheet, spread out the butternut squash cubes evenly. Drizzle with olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Roast in the oven for about 15-20 minutes, or until slightly crispy on the edges. Watch to ensure it doesn't burn.
- While the butternut squash is in the oven, prep the dressing: whisk together the red wine vinegar and honey. Taste and adjust amounts if necessary. Set aside.
- In a large serving bowl, mix together the cooked quinoa, the roasted butternut squash cubes, kale and the dried cranberries. Add in the walnuts and chopped parsley. Drizzle on the dressing and toss to coat. Season with salt if desired. Serve immediately.
(open to residents within the United States only)
Disclosure: I was given a clamshell of the 100% Baby Kale for recipe development. This giveaway is sponsored by Organic Girl. All opinions expressed here are 100% my own. I only promote products I use and love.