Ok, friends. I’m going to let you in on a little secret. Well, I guess it’s not a secret since I mentioned this on Facebook .. like a few times. . I go to the library pretty frequently with my kids. . and have been checking out cookbooks from the library. Might not seem like a big deal to you. But for me, a food blogger, foodie, recipe developer, food-studier (yeah I just made that up), it’s pretty damn awesome.
I just started checking out cookbooks like a few months ago. It never dawned on me to look for cookbooks there. I have no excuse. I guess it’s because we would always go for my kids, for story time or whatever. Anyway, I freaking love it. My local library actually has a pretty amazing section of cookbooks. And recent cookbooks! Newly published cookbooks. I was so pleasantly surprised.
So, this awesome bowl of noodles was inspired by “You Can Trust a Skinny Cook” by Allison Fishman. There is no photo for her version but hers is more of a broth and hot soup. Since it’s summer, I lightened mine up and made it ok to eat, even on warm days.
I’m currently obsessed with coconut milk so that’s what caught my eye when perusing this cookbook. The coconut milk and the lemongrass. So delicious together. And if you follow my blog, you know how much I love Asian noodle dishes. . I feel like they are all starting to look the same. . but I promise: they are all different and delicious.
I love that you can eat Asian noodles a million different ways with some of the same ingredients.
I hope you enjoy!
Spicy Asian Noodles With Coconut Sauce
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 2 shallots; peeled and sliced
- 1-2 plump stalks of fresh lemongrass tender inner white bulb only, sliced crosswise
- 2-3 cups shiitake mushrooms; sliced
- 3-4 heads of bok choy; sliced lengthwise
- 1 serrano chile; sliced
- 1- 13.5-14 oz. can light coconut milk
- 1 tablespoon mirin
- 2-3 tablespoons low sodium soy sauce
- Zest from one lime
- red chili pepper flakes for additional heat
- 8 oz. dried soba udon or brown rice noodles (use whatever you can find)
- 1 cup fresh cilantro leaves; torn
- 1 cups fresh basil leaves; torn
- green onions or scallions; diced
- roasted sesame seeds
- sriracha sauce
- lime wedges
- Heat the oil in a large wok or saucepan over medium heat. Add the shallots and lemongrass and cook, stirring, until the shallots become translucent, for about 2-3 minutes. Add the mushrooms and cook, stirring often, for about 5-6 more minutes.
- Add the bok choy, chile and cook, until the bok choy begins to wilt, about 1-2 minutes. Add the coconut milk, mirin, soy sauce, lime zest and a dash or two of red chili pepper flakes (if adding) and bring to a simmer. Cook until the sauce thickens, for about 3-5 minutes.
- While your sauce is cooking these last 3-5 minutes, cook your noodles according to package directions. Drain and rinse.
- To assemble: divide the noodles into bowls, top with the coconut sauce and vegetables. Garnish with the fresh cilantro, basil leaves, green onions, roasted sesame seeds, some lime juice and sriracha (if using). Mix and enjoy!
Recipe adapted from “You Can Trust a Skinny Cook” by Allison Fishman.