Lemon Ginger Thyme Shortbread Cookies!!! Delicate and delicious slice and bake shortbread cookies that will change your life! Bake these cookies today!
I’m not sure what took me so long to try this recipe. . I love thyme and have never tried putting my favorite herb into a cookie. Maybe I needed time to recover from the season finale of Downton Abbey (since Elizabeth from @WeeKitchen) mentions Downton Abbey in her post and this is what actually got me reading the post. After that season finale shocker, I, just like every other Downton Abbey fan was stunned, heart broken, and bewildered. . why would this happen to Matthew? He and Lady Mary just had their baby and they were so happy. . ahhhh . . and so it is with season finales. . and I heard that Matthew (Dan Stevens) wants to hit Broadway. . so that’s why he asked to leave the show. Are you kidding me? I love you, Dan, but really?
*Downton Abbey: Meet Mary Crawley’s New Man — Spoiler Alert*
Well, regarding Lady Mary. . I was thinking that she would play the mourning widow for quite some time but looks like Lady Mary won’t be left in the depths of depression for too long. . . The show will likely be introducing Welsh TV actor and hunk Tom Ellis as lady Mary’s new love interest. Some fans threw around the idea of Lady Mary and Branson getting together. . Thank goodness that is not happening. At least I hope that does not happen! Hollywood Life, I hope you are right. So, Season 4 should be a great one. . but we all knew that right?
On to the cookies!
These cookies are magical and elegant and delicious. I took these cookies one step further and dipped them in chocolate. If this is too much for you, just omit this step. But if you are willing to try, for me, the chocolate adds another layer of deliciousness. The thyme, lemon zest and ginger + the chocolate is just perfection. And again, if you think this is over the top and not necessary, this is why I only dipped half. You can still experience the cookie both ways. And it’s pretty.
I hope you enjoy!
Lemon, Ginger, & Thyme Shortbread Cookies Dipped in Chocolate
- 3 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons fresh thyme chopped (leaves only)
- 1 cup unsalted butter at room temp
- 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons lemon zest
- 1/2 or 1 teaspoon ground ginger depends on how much ginger you want
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- milk for brushing onto the cookies
- 4 to 6 ounces good quality bittersweet chocolate chopped
- In a mixing bowl, sift together the flour, baking powder and salt. Stir in chopped thyme and set aside.
- Using a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, cream together the (room temp) butter, sugar, lemon zest and ground ginger until well combined. Stir in the egg and lemon juice. Slowly add in the dry ingredients and mix until the dough comes together.
- On a clean, flat surface, divide the dough in half and shape into logs. Wrap with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 2 hours.
- When ready to bake, preheat your oven to 340° F
- Unwrap dough and slice the cookie log and place the cookie dough slices on a parchment paper-lined baking sheet. Lightly brush the cookies with milk and bake for about 12-15 minutes, or just until the edges turn golden.
- While the cookies are cooling, microwave the chopped chocolate in 30-second increments, stirring after each 30-second increment, until melted. Dip half of each COOLED cookie into the chocolate; and transfer back to the parchment-lined baking sheet. Chill until set, for about 10 minutes.
Cookie recipe adapted from Wee Kitchen.
These cookies are inspired by a recent art project we did at home with the kids involving stencils. Just having more fun with my chocolate.