So, Spring is in the air and I am so excited! We’re starting to see little flowers blooming all over the park and daffodils, a flower that honestly I never paid much attention to before, seem to be everywhere. Now, I think they are so pretty and will definitely be buying a lot this season. So, in honor of spring, today, it’s all GREEN foods my friends. And we’re celebrating vegetables.
I am currently obsessed with brussels sprouts. Roasted Brussels Sprouts to be exact. Even with just olive oil, salt and pepper, these babies are delicious. . but now that I have started experimenting with different recipes and adding different ingredients, I love pairing the brussels sprouts with other things and adding texture, different flavors and crunchiness.
This dish was inspired by my love affair with brussels sprouts and by a recent episode of Unique Eats. They featured a restaurant called, M.B. Post in Manhattan Beach, CA, where chef and co–owner David LeFevre is “bringing a playful, artisan menu of small shared plates, hand–crafted cocktails, and small production wines to the South Bay.” They featured David’s Brown Butter Brussels Sprouts with Saba and Emmenthal. They seriously had me at brown butter. Brown butter + my beloved brussels sprouts? Are you kidding me?! I wish I had thought of this but this was all David. And this dish is phenomenal. I, of course, tweaked some things and added some things. . namely pancetta and crispy shallots.
And for the vegetarians, all you have to do is omit the pancetta. I took a quick poll on Facebook and everyone said yes to adding pancetta so that’s how we had it. Truthfully, this dish would be just as delicious without it. So, totally up to you. Again, I love all of these flavors together and the added crispy shallots and hazelnuts just bring everything together for me.
I loved this.
And my meat-eating husband who doesn’t like brussels sprouts (sacrilege!) actually liked this and ate everything. I hope you enjoy!
If you have never browned butter before, this link is great. And if you have never toasted hazelnuts before and don’t know how to remove the skins, click here, look at the recipe card, under instructions.
Brown Butter Brussels Sprouts with Pancetta and Crispy Shallots for #SundaySupper
- 1 stick butter sliced
- 1-2 pounds Brussels sprouts scored on the base (if needed) and halved
- salt and pepper
- pancetta optional
- peanut oil or vegetable oil
- about 2 large shallots sliced into long strips
- ½ cup toasted and halved hazelnuts
- grated Emmental or Gruyère cheese
- few sprigs of fresh thyme optional
- a dash or 2 of aged balsamic vinegar
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees.
- Heat a thick-bottomed skillet over medium heat. Add the sliced butter (so it melts more evenly) whisking frequently. Continue to cook the butter. Once melted the butter will foam up a bit, then subside. Watch the butter carefully as lightly browned specks begin to form at the bottom of the pan. Smell the butter; it should have a nutty aroma. Remove from heat and place on a cool surface to help stop the butter from cooking further.
- Using a cast iron skillet or non-stick skillet, pour in your browned butter and add the Brussels sprouts, cut side down. Cook until they are dark brown and well caramelized on the cut surface. Season them with salt and pepper and then transfer to a baking dish or prepared cookie sheet and place in the oven to roast for about 7-8 minutes, depending on the size of your brussels sprouts. You just want to ensure they are cooked all the way through but not overcooked.
- While the Brussels sprouts are roasting in the oven, pan fry your pancetta over medium-high heat until the desired crispiness has been reached. Remove from pan and set aside.
- In a small skillet, heat about 1/4 inch of the oil until shimmering. Add the sliced shallots and fry over moderately high heat, stirring occasionally, until golden brown and crisp, or for about 3 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, transfer the fried shallots to paper towels to drain.
- Once the Brussels sprouts are ready, remove from the oven. To plate: plate your Brussels sprouts, next, add the pancetta if using, then sprinkle the hazelnuts, grated cheese and a few fresh leaves of thyme over the Brussels sprouts. Lastly, top with a mound of the crispy shallots and very lightly drizzle (you don't need much) the aged balsamic vinegar on just before serving.
Recipe adapted from David LeFevre
Our first day of Spring, March 20th, is right around the corner! Let’s warm up around the table with our friends from our #SundaySupper team and share delicious spring time recipes! Whether it’s St. Patrick’s Day green, green food or spring inspired, there’s something here to please your taste buds!
- Baked Eggs with Shaved Asparagus and Proscuitto by The Girl In The Little Red Kitchen
- Shrimp and Leek Quiche by Gourmet Drizzles
- Spinach and Cheddar Quiche for St. Patrick’s Day Brunch by Supper For A Steal
- Asparagus and Spring Onion Frittatta by Country Girl in the Village
- Egg Bake with Spring Onions, Asparagus and Artichokes by The Wimpy Vegetarian
Apps, Bread, Salads, Soups and Dressings:
- Gluten Free Irish Soda Bread by The Meltaways
- Strawberry, Avocado, Spinach Salad with Strawberry Vinaigrette by Daily Dish Recipes
- Asparagus Gazpacho by The Not So Cheesy Kitchen
- Spinach Bacon Salad by In The Kitchen with Audrey
- Anchovy and Egg Salad by Pescetarian Journal
- Sweet and Sour Cabbage Soup by Fast Food to Fresh Food
- Asparagus Red Pepper Salad by No One Likes Crumbley Cookies
- White Asparagus & Salmon Spring Salad by Family Foodie
- Chicken-Strawberry Field Green Salad w/Strawberry Balsamic Dressing by The Weekend Gourmet
- Bacon & Egg Spring Salad by Daddy Knows Less
- Green Garbanzo Hummus by Soni’s Food
Main and Sides:
- Pea Shoot Risotto by Small Wallet, Big Appetite
- Creamy Meyer Lemon Pasta by Juanita’s Cocina
- Sweet Ginger Scallion Noodles by What Smells So Good?
- Asparagus Pesto w/Heirloom Fingerlings and Orecchiette by Webicurean
- Coddle for St. Patrick’s Day by Noshing With The Nolands
- Corned Beef Cabbage Rolls by Curious Cuisiniere
- Brown Butter Brussels Sprouts with Gruyère and Hazelnuts by Hip Foodie Mom
- Raw Cucumber Sandwich with Avocado and Spinach Sauce by Mama’s Blissful Bites
- Berry Tacos by Peanut Butter and Peppers
- Asparagus and Prosciutto Bundles by Diabetic Foodie
- Caramelized Grapes and Brie Whole Wheat Galette by Vintage Kitchen
- Pink Water Kimchi (Nabak Kimchi) by Kimchi Mom
- Key Lime Cheesecake by The Foodie Army Wife
- Irish Coffee Ice Cream with Caramel Whiskey Sauce by 30A Eats
- Coconut Raspberry Layer Cake by Gotta Get Baked
- Fresh Mango Berry Mousse With Coconut Cream by Sue’s Nutrition Buzz
- Chocolate Mint Brownies by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Strawberry Sorbet by Magnolia Days
- Cadbury Creme Egg Pull-Apart Sweet Rolls by Chocolate Moosey
- Strawberry Cheesecake Parfaits by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Meyer Lemon Ice Cream Sandwiches by Cravings of a Lunatic
- Lemon Roll Cake by The Ninja Baker
- Blueberry Cheesecake Ice Cream by Kudos Kitchen by Renee
- Candied Flowers by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Lemon Citrus Cookies by Mom’s Test Kitchen
- Mini Fruit Tarts by Big Bear’s Wife
- Faux Fried Ice Cream by Neighborfood
- Watergate Salad by Cupcakes and Pearls Blog
- Good-for-You Strawberry Tiramisu Cheesecake Cups by Cupcakes & Kale Chips
- Guinness Beer Milkshake by The Urban Mrs
- Wines to Pair with Springtime #SundaySupper Dishes by ENOFYLZ Wine Blog
Please be sure you join us on Twitter throughout the day during #SundaySupper. We’ll be meeting up at 7:00 p.m. EST for our weekly #SundaySupper live chat where we’ll talk about our favorite cookout recipes!