I absolutely love chicken. Here’s a new way to prepare your chicken if you haven’t tried stuffing it!
Another Pinterest find. This one is from Cooking Creation. For whatever reason, I have never attempted stuffed chicken anything. This was pretty simple and straightforward and now that I know I can stuff all sorts of things in my chicken, I am definitely going to be making this more often!
I was going to serve this with risotto (can you tell I was in a cheesy mood?) but ran out of time and made the risotto later. . which actually worked out because these stuffed chicken breasts were a meal in itself! Next time I might try stuffing this sucker with kale. Why not? Hope you enjoy!
Cajun Chicken Stuffed with Mozzarella Cheese & Spinach
- 1 lb boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 4 oz mozzarella cheese, shredded (you can use up to 6 oz & more to sprinkle on top if desired)
- 1 c frozen spinach, thawed and drained (you can also use fresh cooked spinach)
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp Cajun seasoning – see below for the homemade Cajun spice recipe
- 1 tbsp breadcrumbs or panko
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Special equipment: Toothpicks and a meat tenderizer
- Cajun Seasoning Mix
- ¾ tbsp paprika
- ¾ tsp onion salt
- ¾ tsp garlic powder
- ¼ tsp black pepper
- ½ tsp cayenne pepper
- ¼ tsp white pepper
- ¼ tsp cumin
- ¼ tsp thyme
- ⅛ tsp oregano
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Flatten the chicken to ¼-inch thickness.
- In a medium bowl, combine the mozzarella cheese, spinach, salt and pepper.
- Combine the Cajun seasoning and breadcrumbs together in a small bowl.
- Spoon about ¼ c of the spinach mixture onto each chicken breast. Roll each chicken breast tightly and fasten the seams with your toothpicks. I only used 1 toothpick per chicken breast but you can use as many as you need to close your chicken.
- Brush each chicken breast with the olive oil. Sprinkle the Cajun seasoning mixture evenly over all. Place the chicken seam-side down onto a tin foil-lined baking sheet (for easy cleanup). Bake for 35 to 40 minutes, or until chicken is cooked through.
- Remove the toothpicks before serving. Sprinkle additional cheese if desired while chicken is still hot.