I made this pasta dish tonight for dinner and the first question from my meat eating husband was “Is there any beef in there?” My response, “Un no. . but you’re going to love this pasta!”
Pasta is our go-to meal/dish because I know my girls and my husband will always eat it (he can deal with the vegetarian-style pasta every once in a while!). We always keep different types of pasta stocked in the pantry: spaghetti (my oldest daughter and my husband’s favorite), penne, fusilli, linguine, orecchiette, orzo, rigatoni, farfalle (bow tie) and I think that’s it. My husband thinks I’m crazy because every time I grocery shop (well, not every time), he thinks I come home with more pasta. . I think having plenty of pasta in the pantry is essential! I choose a pasta depending on what I am feeling like or what recipe I am trying out. . so that’s why I have so much variety. Tonight, because I knew my hubby would be hesitant because there was no MEAT, I chose to use spaghetti. . JUST FOR HIM. 🙂
I might try making my own pasta with my Kitchen Aid stand mixer. . anyone have a pasta attachment and love it? Thoughts? Well, in the mean time, I’m buying my pasta. . and as much as I want! This recipe was SO GOOD. YOU MUST TRY. ‘NUFF SAID.
Spaghetti with Tomatoes, Black Olives & Blue Cheese
- 1½ pounds tomatoes (about 3), cut into ½-inch pieces
- 1 cup Kalamata or other black olives, chopped
- ½ cup green olives (b/c I had some and wanted to throw them in)
- 1 cup cremini mushrooms, chopped
- ½ to 1 cup white onion, chopped
- Salt and fresh-ground black pepper; to taste
- ¾ pound spaghetti
- 6 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 tablespoons chopped flat-leaf parsley (for topping; I didn't have any so I used green onions for taste & color)
- ½ cup blue cheese (for topping) or feta cheese
- In a large glass or stainless-steel bowl, combine the chopped tomatoes, olives, mushrooms, and onions
- In a large pot of boiling, salted water, cook the spaghetti until just done, about 11- 12 minutes. Drain.
- Meanwhile, in a medium frying pan, heat the olive oil over moderately low heat. Add the garlic and cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Add the cooked pasta and the tomato mixture and toss. Season with salt and pepper
- Serve; garnish with parsley (or, in my case, green onions) and blue cheese or feta cheese
Spaghetti with Tomatoes, Black Olives, Garlic, and Mozzarella Use 3/4 pound fresh mozzarella cheese, cut into 1/4-inch pieces, in place of the feta.
Spaghetti with Tomatoes, Olives, Garlic, Feta, and Fresh Herbs Use 1/4 cup chopped fresh basil or 3 tablespoons mixed chopped fresh herbs, such as tarragon and chives, in place of the parsley.