Harvest Roast Chicken. Bake your chicken with all things fall: cinnamon sticks, apples and cloves. Super flavorful and so delicious. You won’t believe how easy this is! And your kitchen will smell amazing!
The other day, I was boiling apples, an orange, cinnamon sticks and some star anise to make my house smell like fall. It was so lovely and I ended up making a hot apple tea in the process. Not quite hot apple cider but still warm and comforting.
As I was placing the ingredients into my pot, I thought, why not roast my chicken with all of this? These elements are working as aromatics and gave my roast chicken and perfect flavor and smell. I use two sticks of butter and lots of garlic so don’t throw out the lovely fat, garlic and butter sauce that will full your pan. Drizzle this loveliness all over your chicken and enjoy. Also, with the addition of the apples and cinnamon sticks, you get a lovely slight sweetness as well. I hope you enjoy!
- 1 (3 to 4 lb.) whole chicken
- 1 orange, cut in half crosswise
- 2 heads of garlic, unpeeled, cut in half crosswise
- 1 apple, cut into slices
- 3 cinnamon sticks
- 2 whole cloves
- 2 sticks unsalted butter, melted
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Fresh parsley, diced
- Arrange a rack in center of oven; preheat your to 425 degrees. Place whole chicken on a cutting board and pat dry with paper towels.
- Transfer chicken breast side up to a large cast iron skillet or baking dish. Arrange orange and garlic heads cut sides down in the skillet around the chicken. Arrange apple slices and cinnamon sticks and cloves around and slightly tucked under the chicken as well.
- Drizzle the melted butter all over the chicken, and season generously with salt and pepper. Sprinkle on the diced parsley.
- Transfer to oven and roast until chicken is nicely browned and cooked through, checking for doneness after about 45 to 50 minutes. To check, carefully remove skillet from oven, poke a knife into leg joints, and pierce the meat. If juices run clear, chicken is done. If you see a rosy pink color, it needs more time. Continue to roast, checking every 5 minutes, until juices run clear.
- Let chicken rest in skillet for at least 15 minutes before carving. Transfer chicken to a platter. Top with pan juices and serve with the roasted apples and garlic. Enjoy!