A delicious and flavorful asparagus and leek quiche made with an all butter pie dough! This is the perfect brunch to make for mom on Mother’s Day!
This recipe and post is sponsored by Land O’Lakes.
I looked at my girls the other day and I can’t believe how fast they are growing up. My oldest, who is only 10, is almost as tall as I am and my younger one, age 7, already has more fashion sense than I ever will.
There’s only a little more than a month left of school and, of course, the kids and I are ready for summer to be here! Instead of spring cleaning, which I completely missed, we’re gearing up for summer house cleaning.
The other day I found some old drawings that the girls made for me for Mother’s Day. I used to get homemade cards, whatever lovely thing they made for me in art class and so many beautiful crayon drawings. Now I get spa treatments at home. Madeline does my hair, nails and gives me a massage and Phoebe and my husband cook dinner. It’s glorious!
I’m in the kitchen cooking all the time and love the fact that my kids want to help. One of their favorite things is making homemade dough and rolling it out. We make pizza, sweet galettes, pies and quiche! As long as they get to make the dough, and play with it a little, they are on board.
I love a good quiche, especially when there are vegetables involved. This Mother’s Day, I’m handing my husband and daughters this recipe and will sit back as they do all the work.
This delicious quiche starts with an all butter homemade pie dough. Not only does this recipe give you perfect flaky texture and taste, but it’s also so easy to make! You can use a food processor, which is what I prefer to use, or you can make this by hand using a pastry blender. For me, using quality ingredients make all the difference so I use Land O Lakes® Unsalted Butter for my pie dough. I truly believe you can taste the difference and see it!
I also use Land O Lakes® Butter with Canola Oil to sauté my leeks and asparagus. Made with only sweet cream, canola oil and salt, Land O Lakes® Butter with Canola Oil gives me and my family the fresh butter taste and flavor that we love! I absolutely love cooking with this!
Happy Mother’s Day to all the moms out there! Hope someone will be making you quiche on Mother’s Day! Enjoy!
For the dough:
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour plus more for dusting and rolling dough
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 8 tablespoons 1 stick Land O Lakes® Unsalted Butter, cold and cut into pieces
- 4 tablespoons cold ice water plus more if needed
For the quiche:
- 2 tablespoons Land O Lakes® Butter with Canola Oil
- 1 leek white and tender green parts only; thinly sliced
- salt and pepper
- 1 bunch asparagus hard ends removed and cut into ½ to 1 inch pieces, leaving the tips
- 4 large eggs
- 1 ¼ cup milk or heavy whipping cream
- pinch of ground nutmeg
- greens arugula or microgreens
- balsamic glaze
For the dough:
- Using a food processor, pulse together the flour, salt and sugar a few times. Add in the cold butter pieces. Pulse again until the mixture resembles coarse meal.
- Pour in the ice water and pulse until the dough is crumbly but holds together when squeezed with your fingers. If you need to, add one more tablespoon of water but 4 tablespoons of cold water should be enough.
- Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured work surface and form the dough into a 3/4-inch-thick disk. Wrap tightly in plastic wrap and refrigerate until firm; at least 1 hour.
- When ready, unwrap the dough and place onto a lightly floured work surface again. Roll the dough to about a 12 to 14-inch round. Wrap the dough around your rolling pin and transfer and carefully unroll the dough over a 9-inch pie plate. Gently press into the bottom of the pie plate and up the sides.
- Trim the overhang to 1 inch; fold overhang under itself. To crimp: Pinch between thumb and forefinger to make a uniform edge around the rim. Alternatively, you can also simply use a fork to make indents around the edge. Do whatever you prefer. Refrigerate the pie dough until chilled, for about 1 hour, or while you are preparing the quiche filling.
For the quiche:
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees. Using a large skillet over medium high heat, melt the 2 tablespoons of Land O Lakes® Butter with Canola Oil. Add the leeks and asparagus and season with salt and pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the vegetables are slightly tender, for about 6 to 8 minutes. Remove from heat and let cool.
- Using a large mixing bowl, whisk together the eggs, milk or heavy whipping cream, season with some salt,pepper and a pinch of nutmeg. Transfer the vegetable mixture into your prepared pie plate, reserving some of the asparagus tips and pour the egg mixture over the top. Arrange those asparagus tips on top (they will sink in a little which is fine).
- Bake your quiche for about 1 hour, or until the center is just set, rotating halfway through. Let stand for about 15 minutes to cool. When serving, garnish with some fresh greens, arugula or microgreens and some balsamic glaze if desired. Enjoy!