It’s Monday y’all. Much to my Husband’s disliking, I’ve been trying to implement Meatless Mondays here at the Choi household. Some Mondays are fine.. others, I can tell he’s wishing there was beef or chicken or some other protein other than TOFU.
I love tofu.
But as you can probably guess, my husband could do without it. He’s coming around and loves trying my new recipes . . . but I know he still prefers beef or chicken. I’m not sure if it’s because there is a lot of tofu in Korean stews and soups and I practically grew up eating it, but I just love it. Tofu has a low calorie count, relatively large amounts of protein, and little fat. Dude, seriously? What’s not to love here? And tofu with brown rice and seasoned veggies?! Oh, yes! With this dish, the Husband was happy. Maybe because I threw in some sweet kimchi. He liked it so much, he didn’t even mention the bok choy. A veggie, along with kale, he could do without. Now, he didn’t ask for seconds, but we’re taking baby steps here.
So, if you’re looking for a little Asian/Korean-ish inspiration for a Meatless Monday, give this one a try. It’s seriously delicious! And it’s so quick and easy to make! And if the sweet/sour kimchi doesn’t sound appetizing to you, simply omit the brown rice vinegar and honey and just eat this rice bowl with regular, good ole kimchi.
I hope you enjoy!
Kimchi Veggie Brown Rice Bowl
- 2 tablespoons sesame oil + more if needed later to taste
- 1-2 cloves garlic minced
- 2 cups bok choy chopped
- 1/2 red bell pepper; chopped
- 1/2 yellow bell pepper; chopped
- 1/2 orange bell pepper; chopped
- 1-2 cups tofu; drained on paper towels and as dry as possible and cubed
- 1/4 cup low sodium soy sauce + more if needed
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh ginger minced
- 1 teaspoon brown rice vinegar
- salt and pepper to taste
- prepared cooked brown rice
For the kimchi:
- 1/2 cup kimchi; chopped
- 2 teaspoons honey
- 2 teaspoons brown rice vinegar
- Garnish with green onions and sesame seeds if desired
- In a wok or large non-stick pan, heat the sesame oil + garlic over medium high heat. Add the chopped vegetables and stir fry for about 4-5 minutes. In a small bowl, combine the soy sauce, ginger and vinegar and set aside. Add the cubed tofu to the pan and season with the soy sauce mixture and then season with a little salt and pepper if needed. Cook for another 4-5 minutes or so. (You can cover the pan with a lid while cooking to ensure the veggies are softened but don't overcook the veggies.) Taste and add more soy sauce if needed.
- For the kimchi: In a separate bowl, combine with chopped kimchi with the honey and brown rice vinegar and mix gently. Set aside.
- To serve: serve the sauteed seasoned vegetables over the brown rice and add some of the kimchi mixture on top. Garnish with green onions and sesame seeds if desired. Mix and enjoy!
Later this week, please check out all the other wonderful weekday supper dishes we have lined up for you this week!
05/07/13 – Tuesday – Cindy’s Recipes and Writing – Lentil Stew
05/08/13 – Wednesday – Gourmet Drizzles – Tarte Flambée– A Simple and Delicious French Pizza
05/09/13 – Thursday – Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks – Chipotle Teriyaki Pork Chops
05/10/13 – Friday – Kimchi MOM – Curried Sauteed Shrimp with Coconut Milk